Exhaust smell

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Exhaust smell

Post by hybrid »

A mate of mine wants to use my car in a wedding late November, but I don't want to use it if people are going to get out of it smelling like exhaust.

I think it's manly, but I can't image people in suits would agree.
It's got one of the crappy hard Scott Drake trunk lid rubbers. I figured I could change that, but is there something common on these that does it?

I've got some small exhaust leaks to fix also because the engine wasn't running when the exhaust was done, but I don't really think this is the issue. I'm sure it will be coming in from the back of the car. It seems worse when the windows are down. I guess it's changing the pressure inside the car or something.

I was thinking of using some sealant around the bumper bolts, and anywhere else I can see something obvious.

Pretty sure all the rubber grommets are in place.

What else?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Exhaust smell

Post by ozbilt »

Exhaust tips. Post a pic of where they come out. A lot of time the gasses get sucked back under the car if they are not right.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Back under, then in the open windows, or back under and into a leak somewhere?

Last edited by hybrid on Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

I need to search around on Q too. I don't know if I'm just not used to an old carby car but the fumes are pretty bad, I often get a sore throat during driving. Not that you can smell Carbon monoxide but I have a pretty bad sense of smell so I worry about driving with the windows up. When I was stopped at the lights a few months ago I had a little 3yo-ish kid yelling "What's that smell dad?!!?!!" and they were off to the side and 10+ meters away.
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Older cars are going to smell worse (or better depending how you look at it) than new ones anyway, but it shouldn't be bad inside the car.

Mine doesn't smell with the windows down either, but as you say CO itself doesn't smell (and asphixiation from it creeps up on you), so I haven't wanted to risk leaving the windows up for long periods while driving.

Having said that - I think in our situation, you would definitely smell it, if it was in there because you can smell it with the windows down. I just don't want to risk it and kill myself (and even worse someone else) if I pass out.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Definately put some sealer around the bumper bolts because some of those shitty little so called rubber seals supplied often just tear away. If you want to test the sealing of the trunk before getting a new seal run some tape around the gap with the trunk lid shut. If the smell is still there you will know to look elsewhere.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Good idea Nassi, I will try that along with a light in the boot at night.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

If you ever want to check a seal on a panel rubber, place one sheet of newspaper over the rubber & close the panel (be it door or trunk/tailgate). If you can pull the sheet of paper WITHOUT it ripping, the seal is not close enough.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

nassi wrote:If you want to test the sealing of the trunk before getting a new seal run some tape around the gap with the trunk lid shut. If the smell is still there you will know to look elsewhere.
:like:
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Keegan
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Keegan »

I have the same problem with the smell of fumes while the windows are down.
I did what Kerry says a while back and noticed the whole bottom right corner of the trunk lid doesn't hold paper.
When I bought the car 7 years ago I noticed that the trunk closed down too low in relation to the sides so I adjusted it up. It took me a few years to realize that the rubber seal doesn't expand.

I have ordered a Daniel Carpenter seal.

Another thing I was thinking of is that the fuel mixture is a touch rich on idle.
Regards, Jim.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Where did you get the daniel carpenter seal from?
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

If the fumes are petrol based it may be wise to change the connector from petrol filler neck to tank. These leak fumes when they get old.

In my fastback I find opening the front plenum vent, the one that pushes air near your feet; helps circulate the air pushing out the fumes.

s
Keegan
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Keegan »

hybrid wrote:Where did you get the daniel carpenter seal from?
Harry's Classics at Kingsgrove has them.
Regards, Jim.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Its the new car smell .... your just not use to it.... :poke:
I will someday think of something clever to say.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Keegan wrote:I have ordered a Daniel Carpenter seal.
Let us know how it goes.

s