Default forum settings

Need help with something on the website, forums etc? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Default forum settings

Post by mikes68 »

So I figured out how to default to "New Posts" when opening up my browser but how do I get it to default to "Show All" posts :shrug:
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Default forum settings

Post by hybrid »

Mike,
not sure what you mean.
Can you only see new posts now and nothing else?
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

hybrid wrote:Mike,
not sure what you mean.
Can you only see new posts now and nothing else?
Yeah... I have it set to go straight to "New Posts" but that's because I can't seem to work out how to display "All Posts".

Even when I try and submit a fairly "loose" search I keep getting "no results found" responses... :shrug:

I know I know... you're gonna point out that I'm doin' sumpin stoopid :rotfl:
Fifty Years Afloat

Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

why dont you go up top menu where it says forum and select "forum" again under that heading then select the section where you want to go? i know its a little different to MOCA forums where you can see already viewed topics
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Dynamic wrote:why dont you go up top menu where it says forum and select "forum" again under that heading then select the section where you want to go? i know its a little different to MOCA forums where you can see already viewed topics
Yeah I thought about that but that still limits you to one topic whereas I was looking for more of a "just show me everything" kinda feel...
Fifty Years Afloat

Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

mikes68 wrote:
Dynamic wrote:why dont you go up top menu where it says forum and select "forum" again under that heading then select the section where you want to go? i know its a little different to MOCA forums where you can see already viewed topics
Yeah I thought about that but that still limits you to one topic whereas I was looking for more of a "just show me everything" kinda feel...
yeah i figured thats what you were after as was i!
Pete
Mustang Project:
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Dynamic wrote:
mikes68 wrote:
yeah i figured thats what you were after as was i!
HELP HYBRID HELP!!!
Fifty Years Afloat

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

If you're trying to search the forums, look for the search section of the main menu on the left and make sure you click on forums under the search section. The "search" link itself will only search the main site, not the forums.

So if I'm understanding it right, you don't want to navigate into a section of the forum to look at posts - you just want to view all posts from any section of the forum all in the one spot?
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

hybrid wrote:If you're trying to search the forums, look for the search section of the main menu on the left and make sure you click on forums under the search section. The "search" link itself will only search the main site, not the forums.

So if I'm understanding it right, you don't want to navigate into a section of the forum to look at posts - you just want to view all posts from any section of the forum all in the one spot?
yep like the moca forum how even after you have viewed older posts you can still see them all
Pete
Mustang Project:
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

How did you do that in the MOCA forum?
I've never used that function.

Is that by clicking on "Todays Posts" ?
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

hybrid wrote:How did you do that in the MOCA forum?
I've never used that function.

Is that by clicking on "Todays Posts" ?
Yep - although I have been thinking is it just that we don't have enough activity here yet to show a larger list?

Or are you tracking cookies (or similar) to know what we have already visited?
Fifty Years Afloat

Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

yeah i just click on todays post and it still shows old posts from 28/7/10 so yesterday but only a few maybe its limited to number of overall posts that can be shown :S
Pete
Mustang Project:
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Dynamic wrote:yeah i just click on todays post and it still shows old posts from 28/7/10 so yesterday but only a few maybe its limited to number of overall posts that can be shown :S
I think from memory that is configurable in the user profile on that other site...
Fifty Years Afloat

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Yeah cookies tell the site which threads you have seen before. The view new posts will only show new posts since you visited last time.

The forum in this CMS is based around phpbb, which doesn't have a "todays posts" functionality. A quick search showed a mod for it in phpbb, so if its really something that people use I can see if that mod can be ported over to this forum.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Ok, the hack I found last night for phpbb won't work here, but after looking at the search code, I think I can probably code a "todays posts" mod myself.

I'll work on it today as I get time, so hopefully I'll have something by the afternoon.

Edit: even better! There is an add-on forum modules for dragonfly which can provide this functionality.
I'll do some testing and then look at implementing it today.