Distributor installation

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Herman
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Distributor installation

Post by Herman »

Recently I removed the distributor from a 289 when I was tidying up the engine bay. However when I go to reinstall the distributor back into the correct position. The distributor shaft is hitting the oil pump shaft to one side within the cavity after its been repositioned back to the centre.

Does anyone know suggest the best way I can get around this problem.

Herman
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Distributor installation

Post by ozbilt »

Herman wrote:Recently I removed the distributor from a 289 when I was tidying up the engine bay. However when I go to reinstall the distributor back into the correct position. The distributor shaft is hitting the oil pump shaft to one side within the cavity after its been repositioned back to the centre.

Does anyone know suggest the best way I can get around this problem.

Herman
Dob of grease down the hole to align the oil drive to the center.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Normally the oil pump drive has a tapered end that promotes it to turn a little when engaging with the bottom of the distributor shaft - sometimes a little more forceful push or bounce it a little can make it move though be careful obviously.

In the case where the distributor shaft is shortened (I shortened mine and gbx78's) then you need to also create a chamfer on the shaft hole which also helps the engagement with the oil pump drive.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I usually also hold the rotor button as I'm lowering the distributor and wiggle it back and forth a little bit to try and help it engage.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Agreed - if you are really stuck I have used my oil pressure primer tool to turn the pump a little by hand then try the distributer install again.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

In addition to the grease I have needed to jack a corner of the car to help bias that rascal rod.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

AND, check to make sure TDC is on the compression stroke for No 1 otherwise you can explode a muffler- don't ask how I know.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Herman
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by Herman »

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions, the distributor is now back in place.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

It is possible that if too much force is applied, the oil pump shaft can be knocked straight through the oil pump into the sump. Seen this a couple of times.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

I have the easiest way (no offence to others) . That is to put a light pressure with your thumb on top of the rotor button while someone cranks the car - you only have to crank for half a second or so & it immediately drops into place.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

More than one way to skin a cat. All good suggestions.
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

hybrid wrote:I usually also hold the rotor button as I'm lowering the distributor and wiggle it back and forth a little bit to try and help it engage.
:rotfl:

Sorry - I'll get my infantile mind out of the gutter...

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
GRIFF
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by GRIFF »

donoauto wrote:I have the easiest way (no offence to others) . That is to put a light pressure with your thumb on top of the rotor button while someone cranks the car - you only have to crank for half a second or so & it immediately drops into place.
dono ive always done it that way, most times it drops in without pressure. and the best thing about having a solenoid on the inner guard is being able to crank the engine over by yourself with a screwdriver bridging the battery and 's' terminal (with that wire disconnected of course). its also a quick way to jog it close to tdc prior to removing the dist too.
Here's one for you Hendrix fans, "Little Wing" by one of my bands MATT ROBERTS TRIO live at The Boatshed in Sydney.
We always try and give this song the respect it deserves and Matt rips up the solo's. enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGpGaUPWJLY