Project closure.

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

67Nightmare
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Project closure.

Post by 67Nightmare »

After months of considering a thread and where to post it I have chosen here because every one here Is clearly as passionate about their fords as i am..
My father passed away in 2010 after a brief battle with cancer and needless to say it's been the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. So here's my attempt to gain some closure by finishing up a 67 fastback that he and my uncle started back when I was in high school. The car was just a run of the mill 289 2bbl 3spb car with ac. Back in the early 90s as many of you know the reproduction market for these cars were nowhere close as to present day. With that said there were many things that they had to reuse that would be considered unimaginable today. After 6 years of work they had obtained all the components for the now straight fastback. With my uncles re enlistment in the military and lack of free time the car sat in pieces in the garage for another 10 years. There was always talks of getting back on it and finishing it up but illness leading up to his cancer diagnosis always got in the way and the car sat quietly in it cocoon in its quiet little coroner of the garage. After his passing the car was moved to my uncles place where he planed on finishing their project. With the completion of my brothers 64 falcon I was left with more time to devote to my fathers passion. After a few months in the garage with my uncle the decision was made that the cars would be given to me and I would complete it as my uncle while passionate about wanting to see it complete he wasn't driven as I was to work on it. So in November of 2013 the car came to my garage and the work began. And a year later I am happy to say that the car is once again back on four wheels and being prepped for paint. Over the last year I have replaced both rockers installed a complete full floor pan. New torque boxes, rear wheel houses and most of the left rear quarter panel.
ImageImageImageImageImage
67Nightmare
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Re: Project closure.

Post by 67Nightmare »

floor in and rockers lined up...

Right rocker test fit.

ImageImage
off to the local frame shop for final alignment and to be tacked into place.

Left rocker final test fit before weld in...Image

Interesting note when sliding the new floor into place we noticed it was binding on the right b pillar.. After cutting the lower brace free we found that it indeed was pushed in 3/4". This was causing the left quarter to bulge out through the center of the wheel arch. lol some people are so good a hiding bad work I wish people would realize that all the extra effort expelled to make it look right could have been used to fix it the correct way.

my baby brother cutting the bracing away to get the new floor in...Image

10 hours of welding in three pictures...lol
ImageImageImage

After talking to many of my dads old friends and mustang guys i decided to put the torque boxes in and then lay the toe boards back over them to be sure they are square and the toe boards lay flat on them...

ImageImageImage

After all the welding was done its back on the rotisserie for the last few brackets and firewall and tunnel smoothing. OHHH and did i mention goodies........ :joy:

First the seat pans had to be lowered 2". being 6'2" I dont exactly fit in this car.Image

No hot rod is complete without frame extensions...
Image Image

now the mixed emotion part.. being its all new and straight without many many years of wear i decided to paint the bottom the same as the top... bring on the smoothing and prep work...
ImageImageImageImageImage Now bring on the color...ImageImageImageImageImage now time for all that black stuff to torn blue.Image
Just had to take a picture of how flat this paint went down... there is a coat of ever-coat colored bed liner under the base clear to aid in sound deadening and help hide the inevitable rock chips. that's the texture seen on floor pan.Image
Now for the part that everyone sees. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

That pretty much covers progress from last Jan to now. The chrome in the aprons is 100% legit chrome done while it was all out of the car and then it was TIG welded back in using as little heat as possible and then bolts were added opposite the spot welds... Panel bond adhesive was used where no weld could be made as this is a show car to honor my father I think it will be OK.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

That is quite a project. The chrome towers & aprons are something different. Nice work.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Welcome to the site. Thanks for sharing with us.

The work you are doing is a tribute to yourself, uncle and your dad. I am looking forward to seeing your project go forward to completion.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Big project!
Nice work, and thanks for posting it here. We love pics :mrgreen:
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Excellent work and a warming story. Good luck with the build. Thankyou.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

As nassi said, heartwarming story & thanks for sharing with us .... :drink:

Projects like this are the best, passion & dedication always wins ..... :like:

I will be over your way in March next year, staying until at least mid May, so will call in on my travels & have a look see at where you are with the project. Always nice for all of us to put faces with the names ..... :lol:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I was just thinking last night that the forum must be due for a new project or two, and today here it is.

Good progress look forward to seeing what's next in the process.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
IGALOP
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by IGALOP »

Nice story, looking forward to it's final pic state!
Selling the Mustang story to all those who will listen!
There are many listening in Gippsland.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Great project and detailed pictures, i like the chrome engine bay idea...thanks for sharing with us.

:thumbs:
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

Welcome to the site, the love that is obviously going into this project is a great tribute to your Dad. Keep the photo's coming!
"Hey Steve, I hope we can put this back together" - Ozbilt
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Beaudy Cobber! another project. Whatever you slot into that engine bay will look a million bucks!! Bring it on. :like:
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Thanks for sharing AND it is Red!
If we knew your name I could anoint you into the Loyal Order of Red.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Ausjacko wrote:Thanks for sharing AND it is Red!
The numbers grow strong. World domination is within our grasp.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

soc123_au wrote:
Ausjacko wrote:Thanks for sharing AND it is Red!
The numbers grow strong. World abomination is within our grasp.
Thats better. :lol: