Quick stamp duty question

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Quick stamp duty question

Post by Foresight »

My brother is looking at buying a car from the eastern states.

Lets use NSW as an example.

If he lives in WA and purchases the car from NSW to be transported and registered in WA will he pay the NSW or WA stamp duty rate?
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Quick stamp duty question

Post by hybrid »

Pretty sure you should be paying the stamp duty in WA.
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

It is possible that if he transfers the rego into his name in NSW there may be a stamp duty payable there and then if he has car registered in WA that he may well need to pay a stamp duty for that as well... Not sure though

EDIT: Just found this on the NSW RTA (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/publicationsstatisticsforms/downloads/45070107.pdf) -

There is at least a $28 fee for transferring registration.
Stamp duty is also charged. It is at least 3% of the sale price or market value of the vehicle (whichever is higher). For certain vehicles exceeding $45,000 a 2% surcharge will apply for any amount over $45,000. (If necessary, the market value is rounded up to the next hundred dollars - for example the stamp duty is the same for a vehicle worth $1450 as for a vehicle worth $1500.) The RTA collects stamp duty charges on behalf of the Office of State Revenue (OSR). The OSR conducts regular audits of declared values. Understatements of market value may attract additional duty together with penalties and interest.

And from WA DPI (http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1382.asp):

Online vehicle licence duty calculator
Use our online calculator to find out how much duty tax is payable when you licence or transfer a vehicle in Western Australia.

Licensing Services is required by the Duties Act 2008 to collect vehicle licence duty when a vehicle is licensed or its licence is transferred.
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Ok cool so he will be paying WA stamp duty since it is to be registered in WA only

At the moment I have these factors for him to consider about the interstate purchase

Stamp duty
Rego transfer
Compliance
Transport costs

Can anyone think of anything else?
Cheers,
Lee & Q
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

custom number plates, one off payment 7 letters $395 ,9 letters $495 :thumbs:
Otherwise i think about $25 for std plates
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Thanks scott another thing is I know sedans are 1200-1800 to send across australia but does anyone know what a good price for a larger car like a hilux or prado is?
Cheers,
Lee & Q
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

Lee I would think $1200=1800 would easily cover it. Assuming the car's not out in the boonies somewhere.

He should make sure to get as much documentation on the car as possible. Transport like to see a paper trail - ie current rego papers in NSW, get them to leave the C/R sticker on the car, a completed transfer/disposal form from the owner in NSW even though it's not required here or there, a receipt made out to the purchaser as well. Believe me it all helps.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Foresight wrote:Ok cool so he will be paying WA stamp duty since it is to be registered in WA only
I'm not sure though if he would need to tfr rego in NSW first or if he can do ownership AND registration transfer at the same time. If not, then he will pay stamp duty to take ownership of the car in NSW and THEN pay stamp duty again in WA to transfer HIS car to a WA rego... I don't know how it works.
Fifty Years Afloat

ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

mikes68 wrote:
Foresight wrote:Ok cool so he will be paying WA stamp duty since it is to be registered in WA only
I'm not sure though if he would need to tfr rego in NSW first or if he can do ownership AND registration transfer at the same time. If not, then he will pay stamp duty to take ownership of the car in NSW and THEN pay stamp duty again in WA to transfer HIS car to a WA rego... I don't know how it works.
Nope. Definitely only pay transfer/stamp in W.A. The old owner would hand the plates in in NSW if it's still registered. Unless of course you want the car to have dual citizenship. :)
Rick.

mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

ponyride wrote:
mikes68 wrote:
Nope. Definitely only pay transfer/stamp in W.A. The old owner would hand the plates in in NSW if it's still registered. Unless of course you want the car to have dual citizenship. :)
Ahhh... now that makes sense... go figure?!?! :fart:
Fifty Years Afloat

moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

I thought the new ownwer would hand in the plates when it is registered in WA. Rego normally isn't cancelled by the seller if the buyer is interstate in my experience.

Reimbursement is then sought for remaining rego by the new owner.
NSW example:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... rrego.html
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

moe wrote:I thought the new ownwer would hand in the plates when it is registered in WA. Rego normally isn't cancelled by the seller if the buyer is interstate in my experience.

Reimbursement is then sought for remaining rego by the new owner.
NSW example:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... rrego.html
Moe you can't claim reimbursement for remaining rego unless you have transferred the car to your name, in N.S.W. first. Then you're paying two lots of transfer fees, one in NSW to get it in your name, then here to get it in your name.You can do whatever you want, if you want to pay for it!

The simplest and most common option is to leave rego over there. The old owner will want to hand the plates in to get the balance back on his rego so the buyer won't really have an option anyway. Easy peasy.
Rick.

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Rules have changed over the last few years in WA , i was at the counter about a year ago and the person next to me was changing from eastern states rego . I would check into it because i think it was just transfered over to WA rego without a inspection if already regoed over east. It would be worth a phone call.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

We have just purchased a car from SA, the reg was handed in there to avoid paying stamp duty at that end, the car was issued with a set of SA plates and a 14 day permit ( to allow transit and trip to licensing center). The car had to be booked in and inspected and the SA plates handed in.
Then all the usual fees and stamp duty.
cheers.
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

At the moment I have these factors for him to consider about the interstate purchase

Stamp duty
Rego transfer
Compliance
Transport costs

Can anyone think of anything else?
Consider also a REVS (or similar) check to ensure it is not under finance. If it is done in the 24 hours before purchase it should cover against repossession if it is found to have finance owing.