Technical drawings

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

phil65
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Technical drawings

Post by phil65 »

The heatwave in Wa continues so I thought I would download auto cad and design the export brace I keep forgetting to order. I expected to easily be able to find a complete 65 model down to nuts and bolts but I'm not finding much although That did lead me to the engine mount file located here which I will organise a set of shortly. I'm sure The info what I.want exists hopefully somebody here knows something. I've only used cad a tiny bit so creating it is beyond me. The other thing would be if somebody had a heap of 2d technical drawings scanned I could use that cheers. I've done all I can no mustang progress today I guess I'll have a beer and wait for the weather to break.
Last edited by phil65 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Technical drawings

Post by tim_morrison82 »

You had me stumped on Auto ad... lol AutoCAD.

There are a few drafties on here that can help you out if you need anything Acad related.

So you are looking for a full car 3d detailed to the nut bolt and washer? You aren't asking much are you....
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

I wish i had time to draw a mustang up from start to finish.
phil65
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by phil65 »

Sorry iPad keyboard and fat fingers I've edited it now. I'm not actually looking for a total drawing I just thought there would be one by now. I don't want any mechanical interior or electrical at all just basic structure sheet metal panels bolted on and all the hangers etc attached so that I can design structural mods to scale with correct size angle using original bolt holes where necessary. I can do what I always do and rip out the graph paper and protractor but I would like to get it cut fabbed and coated professionally this isn like my normal backyard stuff it's gotta look good.
phil65
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by phil65 »

I've found quite a few outside models which is most of what I need just not with proper detail added I'm sure companies that make aftermarket parts have what I want but im never gonna get them I might have to give myself a crash course and slowly add to one of those models over the areas I need so it eventually would be complete since I've found a few bits and pieces already wipers and wheels and stuff I plan to own the car forever so it's not wasted time just an enormous undertaking. Supposedly an iPad can 3d model things these days it's just a matter of learning to mesh all the technology together.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

I have a reasonable model of a 67/68 coupe that is decent as a representation of a mustang, but is not considered accurate.

It would be difficult to find an engine bay fully modelled as most modellers are interested in exterior surfaces for objects essentially used as props in their drawings.

If you get stuck, send me a pm.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Mate I think a better 3d package like Solidworks may be the go for such a complicated assembly. However, it is not a drawing task to be underestimated in difficulty or duration !
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Funny you guys should talk about this now, I'm in the process of purchasing a laser scanner for work and I'm planning to scan and model Q as a side project to develop my skills. Though my end goal is an accurate representation of the visible exterior, interior and engine bay to use for rendering and animating a transformer...because I'm a nerd. A mm accurate model would be possible through the process, it'd just take a long time! I'm planning to post the process on here as a different kind of project as I thought you guys might be interested. It would be a lot easier if I had access to a 2 post lift and preferably a 69 shell/cobrajet that is disassembled to scan the engine bay, block, trans etc. so I might be shouting some beers to willing participants :cheers:

I guess the issue you'll have is that every car is slightly different so you'd need to work off your own car to get a definite fit. What type of brace are you thinking of making?
Last edited by Foresight on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

I am keen to have a go of the scanner, i was close to buying one myself. I cant help you with any of you parts though... Exhausted might be able to help one weekend at his workshop for a hoist.
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

What scanner were you thinking of getting Tim and what did you want to scan?
Cheers,
Lee & Q
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

I was looking into the one jay leno reviewed. I think it was next dimension or something like that. Its around the 2-3k mark.

It could have been the brand of the 3d printer too... might need to look it up again...
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Ah yes, the gear I'm looking at is more of a surveying cloud scanner than a reverse engineering scanner. They have different applications but you are welcome to check it out when I scan the car.

The tricky part regarding the export brace is getting someone to manufacture it accurately. Depending on the design you may need to roughly design it in CAD but then manufacture it using the car itself as a jig.

Designing frames to fit onto multiple planes is always challenging, especially when it involves welding because of the shrinkage/warping that can happen.
Cheers,
Lee & Q
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Foresight wrote:
The tricky part regarding the export brace is getting someone to manufacture it accurately. Depending on the design you may need to roughly design it in CAD but then manufacture it using the car itself as a jig.

Designing frames to fit onto multiple planes is always challenging, especially when it involves welding because of the shrinkage/warping that can happen.
That was always the fun part when building the iron doors in China. Even with dedicated fixtures the parts could turn out different sizes just with a change of operator in the welding shop. So the tolerances were not all that close (usually + or - 1.5mm). So making an insert for a door that was already in the USA was always a job that needed close QC.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Foresight whats work?

Mechanical engineer/PM here. I have had laser scanning done on complex mining structures and it is amazing what you can backwards engineer from a massive quantity of finite points.

Trav.
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Who are you with Trav? We do all sorts of stuff from domestic/commercial as-built quantity/manufacturing surveying/design to offshore structural/equipment installation/deconstruction work. You are absolutely correct in saying that the data we collect can be used for reverse engineering (and often is) but the scanner on Jay Leno's Garage is a really small scale laser arm meant for reproducing small parts. The laser I'm looking at has a range of 120m at a million points a second so although it could do the job, its actually designed for being able to collect large structures or areas from a few different angles. You'd be better off using a small hand or arm mounted scanner to get in and around all of the complex shapes that you would find in small parts. Modelling my car is just for fun and to develop my organic shapes modeling and animation skills, scanning cars is definitely not what I'd ever do commercially haha
Cheers,
Lee & Q