Patina Paint Process

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Patina Paint Process

Post by scott66stang »

Ok over 4000 posts and i think this is the first question i have asked and its not really Mustang related :lol:
However Im sure there is a few patina Mustangs, but not usually the done thing.

I have just got hold of a 53 Austin A40 ute but am passing it on to my brother as it doesnt need much work unlike his 50s Morris Cowley ute he got about 6 months ago and finding it a bit overwhelming.
I am swaying him towards Patina look rather that panel and paint as there is virtually no major rust in this thing.

My question is what is the process for clear coating surface rust?
Im thinking scrubbing with something like sugarsoap, treating with rust converter and then satin clear ontop.
Would this be the way to do it? any suggestions welcome.
I will also apply this to my Bedford garden ornament.

pictures of the utes to follow, maybe a non mustang project thread as i will be doing some of the work.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Patina Paint Process

Post by scott66stang »

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

The tray sides are aluminium with a little corrosion at the bottom.

soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

The problem is if you treat the surface rust, it will no longer look rusty. I would go with cleaning it up with sugar soap & then giving it a really good go over with grey scotchbrite & some scuff stuff. Then wash it, prepsol & tack it off as you would for any paint job. Then a coat of clear adhesion promoter (Dupont 222S) then hit it with a 2K satin clear.
goldscode
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by goldscode »

Ankor Wax , the add states

Patina Protector Preserve those barn find good looks !
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

soc123_au wrote:The problem is if you treat the surface rust, it will no longer look rusty. I would go with cleaning it up with sugar soap & then giving it a really good go over with grey scotchbrite & some scuff stuff. Then wash it, prepsol & tack it off as you would for any paint job. Then a coat of clear adhesion promoter (Dupont 222S) then hit it with a 2K satin clear.
Was hoping to hear from you Steve, not looking rusty after the treatment was what i was worried about, although the only large area of surface rust is on the roof so i may get away with it., adhesion promoter sounds a good idea too.

Ankor wax, thats interesting and alot easier especially if it spends most of the time in the shed out of the weather, will look into that aswell. Thanks
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Just ordered 1l of the Ankor wax, i will use it for the Bedford garden ornament atleast.

http://busnbug.com/sb_clients/busnbug/b ... or_wax.cfm
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Scotch brite it , wipe it with white spirits and matte 2k clear it.
The pomms do what they call an "oily rag restoration" They just keep wiping them over with a bit of Castrol GTX. Seeing as its car from Berty Austins factory the pommy oily rag method may be the go.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Shaunp wrote:Scotch brite it , wipe it with white spirits and matte 2k clear it.
The pomms do what they call an "oily rag restoration" They just keep wiping them over with a bit of Castrol GTX. Seeing as its car from Berty Austins factory the pommy oily rag method may be the go.
I can just imagine an oily film running down the windows in their rainy drizzly climate.

From what i read somewhere while surfing the net, if the rust is not sealed or treated somehow before clear coat it would not take long to start bubbling and lifting, so i like the idea of a clear bonding undercoat that Steve mentioned.

Just research atm, there is no wood boards in the tray and if my brother decides on new varnished timber look it may lead to a shiney new paint job, new chrome etc. However i will be trying to talk him out of it otherwise it can join my list of unfinished projects.
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

Sorry, no suggestions Scott but what a little ripper that Austin ute is. It'd be great to keep tha patina versus paining it, especially if it's original paint.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

It seems to be Rick, one other problem i have is to try and match a faded paint on the small rust repair on the bottom of the drivers step (about 1" under the door" the bottom of the aluminium 1/4s, and looks like i will have to make and paint a upper tail gate. It has the lower tail light panel which has the spare wheel door all there.
The previous owner said the tail gate was wood so wouldnt be a problem but all searches show a flat steel tail gate with about a 2 inch press around the edges.

cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Very cool Scott, as usual.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

I recall an episode of Dream Car Garage, there was a fibreglass rod that had rust painted on it and the builder even drilled pin holes to simulate rust damage.

Some pics here.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/dto_sh ... iew&g=1051

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/BLT2D ... icles/2878

s
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

cool! i dont think i could bring myself to create rust holes in good metal, its against everything i believe in :lol: :lol: :lol:
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Here's one you could do yourself.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episode/TK2 ... Pv8qy7RLK8

s