Fatkids 500

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Fatkids 500

Post by shermatt »

Well when you have a 67 "S" code fastback sitting there and guy that is busting your ba77's to buy his 427 side oiler and everyone else saying that you should build yaself a stinker GT500 tribute....it just had to be done

Car was picked up in North carolina or somewhere like that several months ago and it needed all new floors fitted. I ended up cutting the floor out and bead blasting the entire car from top to bottom, welded the new floor is and threw the old girl in primer. Had to fab up some firewall spots but it came up ok

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Re: Fatkids 500

Post by shermatt »

The car is almost finished but Ive got a tonne of pics of the cars build but havent had a chance to post them, so Im going to post them in the stages as I managed to find the time to build it (up untill it is right now)

Stay tuned ;2
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

I think its gonna be one of the most expensive car Ive ever built.....just under $40k so far and climbing but if sheri can have one, so can I...even if its a clone...probably whip hers aswell....the engine was boasting 600hp (bench tested) so proof will be in the pudding.

I know I will need to sell it once its finished but I want to own it for a few weeks before I advertise it.

The car was a very solid "S" code car. Had the floor pans cut out when I bought the car and it had a few minor spots of rust here and there.

Rather than put half pans in the car I went with a full floor pan. Needed a new rear lower quarter panel and a torque box. Few other very little spots but nothing worth taking a photo of.

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

By the time the car was at this stage, Randy with the 427 wanted to buy it off me and clone so he could use his 427

Dont know how it swang the other way and I ended up with the 427 and me building the clone instead...go figure.

I ended up buying the GT500 kit from Tony Branda at Branda performance. (every single piece). The whole kit fit up perfectly with very little body work. The hood was the biggest problem. Vacuum formed and fit up good but needed some fab work...like alot.

Boot lid was odered from the same place we got the eleanor kit from...should of got it from Branda...what a mess they are....managed to get it straight. Rear tail light panel was ordered of ebay as a complete assembly for $130 and is "THE BEST WAY TO GO"

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Sunday night here so I thought I would throw some more pics of the build so far

These are about 3 weeks old

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

This is where she is now however I have all the disc brakes/vented rotars all fitted

engine has to come out as the headers may need to be fitted before it goes in

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Deciding which headers to use at this stage. Either go with the ones Glen used from ford poer train or those other ones that look "Trick" and have the wa nk factor going on

sorta leaning towards the trick ones as there the same sorta price give or take $50

Still deciding on wheels aswell. Been thinking ....sorry, procrastinating, about using 17" Eleanor wheels or 17" repo's of the original Shelby GT500 wheels

Dont know which way to go....bit stuck on this one

Nothing happening with the ute.....its a rainy day project at the moment.....this 500 is suckin a lot of funds. However, I do have plans in place for that lil fella. Were going right hand drive (being done up in Cali)...thinking about a fuel injected supercharged 5.0 from a 05 roush or something....but thats another party.

stuck on the wheels for this one at the moment ::
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

I was looking at these

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

looks like you can only get this wheel in 2005 and up with a 6.4" back spacing in the 18" x 8.5 and a 6.13" back spacing on the 17 x 8.5

acording to the chart I need 5.00 back spacing

I have a set of 05 wheels and tyres here so Im going to have a play today maybe

Sure do be like'n em

shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

just found these links on youtube

tFBkmTmjk6Y&feature=related

zvjhaDmaM1A&NR=1

coQteFVNB6M&feature=related
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

I ended up ordering the headers yesterday

Pic here

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/390428triy.htm

Its gone from a 17 day lead time down to 10 so the boys will just have to wait a little less to get this beasty fired up

Must admit...Im starting to get a little antzy to get it done so I can finish off Stevo,s 65 A code

Then its game on like donky kong on the S code vert
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

20th March 2010

still havent touched it

Had planned to work on an Eleanor we just got in all day saturday and then spend all day Sunday working on mine

Murpheys law...pi55ed with rain all day Sunday.

Still waiting on those headers
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Todays date July 30th 2010

Still havent touched despite best efforts

Got back from Australia last week and Ive had jet lag, the flu, bronchtus and tonsilitus all week....just coming good now

Tommorow I will be getting something done to it....even if it tightening some bolts
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

shermatt wrote:Todays date July 30th 2010

Still havent touched despite best efforts

Got back from Australia last week and Ive had jet lag, the flu, bronchtus and tonsilitus all week....just coming good now

Tommorow I will be getting something done to it....even if it tightening some bolts
Shermatt, sounds like you had enough illnesses for a couple of years!

What about those wheels that was discussed on the other site? on that black shelby replica??