Glenn's '67 Project (without a clever name)

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

OzStang390
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Glenn's '67 Project (without a clever name)

Post by OzStang390 »

From those who know me it seems I have always been asked "so... how is the Mustang coming along...?" or "done anything to that Mustang yet??", sadly my replies were not usually in a positive manner... as I have been waiting for my carport to be... well, let's not say "finished" as such, but at least a little more weather resistant than parking out under the open sky.

So I am happy to report the carport is now at the stage I can start pulling my '67 coupe to pieces and get it ready for Ozbilt to caress it with the magic he has put into masterpieces I have only read about... (before anyone pipes up... I have only heard about the cars, NOT the people he has caressed) ;-)

Since this is my first resto I'm not quite sure what I need to remove and what I need to leave attached, I realise it will need to be "most of it", but I am unsure about things like the front steering and suspension, do I leave it in or do I remove it and make some sort of trolley with castors wheels??

Do I remove inner and outer Door handles?
Do I need to have the handbrake working?
Do I take all of the wiring harness out?

so I'm asking for any advice on what needs to be done, can anyone help out with this?

Cheers,
Glenn
My project is a 1-of-1 1967 Mustang Hardtop, Beige Mist Paint, Black Trim, 390-4V Engine, C-6 Select-Shift Cruise-O-Matic, 3:1 9" Diff, Power Disc Brakes, Power Steering, 7.35X14-4 Ply Rated Tires, White Rayon Sidewall Tires, Exterior Decor Group, Interior Decor Group, Tinted Glass, Selectaire - Air Conditioner, Black Décor Bucket Seats, Centre Console, Roof Console, AM Radio, Hinged Gas Cap and a warped nut that holds the steering wheel!!
My wife's project is: ME!!
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Glenn's '67 Project (without a clever name)

Post by hybrid »

What you need to remove depends on your plan or what needs to be done.
Are you having the whole car painted for example, or just part of it? Change of colour?

Once we know the plans, we can advise from there.
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Hi Glenn

Kerry has put up a great article in the Tech section on planning your resto (there's a link on the site home page).

I've made most of the mistakes there are with mine, so talking through your plan with with the experienced guys here will help you save time and money in the long run.

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
OzStang390
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by OzStang390 »

The car is going on a rotisserie at ozbilts for sand blasting...

Thanks J, I'll check it out
My project is a 1-of-1 1967 Mustang Hardtop, Beige Mist Paint, Black Trim, 390-4V Engine, C-6 Select-Shift Cruise-O-Matic, 3:1 9" Diff, Power Disc Brakes, Power Steering, 7.35X14-4 Ply Rated Tires, White Rayon Sidewall Tires, Exterior Decor Group, Interior Decor Group, Tinted Glass, Selectaire - Air Conditioner, Black Décor Bucket Seats, Centre Console, Roof Console, AM Radio, Hinged Gas Cap and a warped nut that holds the steering wheel!!
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

If it's going on a rotisserie and it's being blasted, then EVERYTHING needs to come out.

So yes, all your door handles, all the wiring. Basically If it's not part of the shell of the car, it comes off.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Agree with Hybrid, remove everything. Make sure you take heaps of pics coz it's long time between tear down and assembly and you're not getting any younger buddy. Now what was I going to say. Yeah, check with Kerry what he wants left on for panel alignment, such as door catches etc. Do you need a hand to strip it down?
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

I want to see it with all panels, locks, strikers, front suspension, steering, rear suspension & diff. So basically a "roller" that I can steer.

Park brake would be nice but not critical. As for the panels & suspension, I will pull all that out here & have it back in for the return journey.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Glenn, your car needs a name.. Big Beige? Misty? Help me out fella's!!

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

He was talking about Kerry's caress and I believe the song "last caress" was by the misfits, so maybe the car can be called the misfit, especially if it's beige...... :lol: :outtahere:
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Set the whole car on fire like mine...
Then you don't need to remove the interior or sandblast, the flames do it all for you.

As for a project name..
How about...
Oz builds another E car :fap: :fap: :fap:
66 basket case
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

Bag and tag everything....

How about "mission brown" for a project name? beige is a light brown!

Or "project latté"

Or for a more catching title, "project wazubba" (taken from the urban dictionary)
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

if you need or want a canberra working b to help strip down let us know
Cheers,
j
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

jusTANG wrote:if you need or want a canberra working b to help strip down let us know
The mustang, that is....
OzStang390
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by OzStang390 »

Thank you all for the input, well... Kerry has set the target for me to aim at now... so I guess I don't have any excuses...

Thank you to the people who have offered to help with the strip down, I might just take you up on it, I'll just have to check to see if my old BBQ is still in one piece and throw on a feed and some drinks... one thing I'm curious about though... if I have a number of people ripping things off the old girl left, right and center... how do I make sure I keep an accurate photo log of things... or should I just have a weekend of snapping pictures all over before having the "strip fest"??

I already have *some* zip lock bags, I may have to invest in some more though...
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Glen, one of the biggest issues with a complete resto is what fastener goes where. Remember though, your car is nearly 50 years old with fasteners and parts probably been replaced or swapped around. If you buy one of the AMK bolt kits, they have everything individually packaged and labelled. other than that, these cars are pretty simple. Anything you are unfamiliar with, just label it. Easy Peasy!!