Sander

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Sander

Post by xpconnor »

Probably over thinking it but does anyone have any recommendations on an orbital style sander. Getting to a stage where I am going to have to do a lot of sanding and would prefer to not have to do all of it by hand. Are the little round oscillating ones OK or is it better to get one that has a rectangular base. Any tips or just go out and buy one.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sander

Post by ozbilt »

A 6" (150mm) double action air driven sander is what you want. However you need a good compressor to push it as they use at least 12cfm of air.

This style. You can get inexpensive ones, I do & just chuck & replace when they die.

http://www.grainger.com/product/INGERSO ... nder-6Z563

The most important thing you can buy for the shed is a compressor that has a good capacity. That opens you up for things like blasting cabinets, good range of air tools & the ability to paint if you so desire.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

I've been buying bits and pieces off these guys as I need them. They seem to be well priced locally.

Have also heard good things about this brand. Yes, this is only a copy but just as Kerry said, chuck them when they die.
I know Kerry has way more experience than me but I thought I'd say that I like holding my sander in the palm of my hand which this style is shaped to do.

http://jeffersonpaintsupplies.quicksale ... d=20751010
"There's 3 ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way."

"Isn't that the wrong way?"

"Yeah, but faster!"
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Yes, I like & have a palm sander as well .... :like:

However the one I pictured above have more grunt than a palm sander.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I did think of an air driven one but am a bit worried the compressor I have may struggle to keep up. It is a good quality compressor but not a huge industrial one.

Was having a look online and saw these.

http://www.makita.com.au/component/zoo/ ... Itemid=241

Already have a heap of makita tools with the 18v batteries so may be a good option and can be held in the palm. Anyone used one? :shrug:
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

I've got an electric, oldschool with a cord, 125mm orbit Makita. Have had it for 7-8 years. For a while there I used is most days while building furniture and other timber products. It's still going strong. I replaced the pad once and did a bearing at another point. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
"There's 3 ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way."

"Isn't that the wrong way?"

"Yeah, but faster!"
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

I have a hitachi 125mm random sander takes the round pads and can be hooked up to a vac if needed I use it for work its trade quality and pretty powerful
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Ended up getting one of the makita battery powered ones. Will give it a go in the next month to see what it's like and report bake.

Thanks to all for the advice.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

battery powered aren't bad until you work em hard then they chew through bat power