Fatkid clone pt 2 - The young kid clone - 65' GT 350

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Fatkid clone pt 2 - The young kid clone - 65' GT 350

Post by shane427 »

Sitting here at work 12 hrs after picking up my first mustang, I am finding it difficult to work for some unknown reason.

Whether it is because I am thinking about how to embark on the jounrey of leaning and finishing off the clone, or thinking of all the new little things I want ot buy for it, all I know is want to get back home as quick as possible to play.

Overall very very happy with the car Matt (Shermatt) built and sold me. Even more happy with his service through his business and can highly reccomend using him to import.

Plan to update this thread with my progress, questions for the experts and general stuff about my new pride and joy. Unfortunately a month trip to the US next week will put a short delay in gettting one tough fatkid clone on the road!!
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: Fatkid clone pt 2 - The young kid clone - 65' GT 350

Post by shane427 »

Safely parked away in the garage :a

shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

First task - steering rebuild

Some CRC, some serious hammering and all the steering parts were out. The steering is one of the only things not new on the car.

Will be getting new:
- inner/outer tie rods, joiners
- new boots for all joints and mounting rubbers for sway and strut bars etc

The drag ling and idler arm may just get a coat of paint.

My main concern is around the p/s cylinder and control valve. Are these items suitable to rebuild with gasket/seal kits or should I just buy new?

Should I be replacing the rest of the ball joints as-well or are these usually fine?

Not sure if there is anything wrong with the steering...just want to give it an overhaul.

Will post some pictures when I get a chance.
Appreciate any advice.
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Update on new site 30th July.

Have'nt got much real work done post trip, just odds and ends, planning how to complete the build. Also my ski boat has been taking up my spare time after accidentally dropping fuel in the bilge and making a small mess after ignition :-|

Ski boat running a solid 351 clevo, double pumper holley, mild cam etc. Goes hard, my body can attest to that coming off barefooting at
45km /h + tickles...

Anyway the clone...
-Pulled out all the steering - will get new steering all round albeit manual instead of the power
-Fitted up chrome alternator and wired motor. Looks trick with the billet pulleys and chrome alt
-Stripped down fold down seat, now at sandblasters before new chrome, carpet and paint
-Cut apart rear upper panel brace (between trunk and folddown seat) and fab'ed up new panels.

Pictures to come.
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Keep the fatkid posted Shane

want to see stuff :)

Thanks for the call the other day....really appreciate the update
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Hey

just remembered...allways forget to ask

Did you get my pressies....threw in a few Corona lights for your drinking pleasure.

Matt
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Shane you tease!!! gimme some pics man. Looks filth :Clap: :Clap: :headbang: :headbang:
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

shane427 wrote:Safely parked away in the garage :a

Thats just a tease. Looks sweet, though more pics please :poke:
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

While taking apart steering wanted to tidy up R/H front frame rail.

Welded in new bumper braket nuts, patched the rail and welded in new strut rod bracket.

Other side was good, as was the rest of the rail.
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Needed to redo the back-seat, so took it and the trim out. What was there was expected but still ugly...

Bit of welding, grinding, swearing and drinking later and;

Also tidyed up quarter vents
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Few other pictures, as I have been so slack. Straight off the boat

Delivery from the US - should keep me busy for awhile and finish things off nicley
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Next little task-feedback would be good-fixing up this.....

Shermatt said he was very unhappy with this section, and I can see why. There is even braze welds up there...and bad ones at that :argh:

You can see where an earlier repair has welded on a new rail section, and it hasnt been welded flush with the floor pan

The old section is still solid so I plan to fab up a new section in situ, this time flush to the body with the leaf mount point in the right location :argh: its about 1" low due to the dodgy repairs over time. Will stregthen the joint with an xtra plate, and box in near the mount.

Any issues with this type of repair needing engineering or with rwc down the track?
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Good work Shane with the front frame rail section and the trap door area. That rear frame rail i think you would be better off replacing that section , it is a little difficult , but you could hack it away from underneath (looks like it half done already 8O ) then reweld a new repair section in. I allowed 2 rear torque box rail repair sections before purchasing my convertible from picture but luckily the rails were ok and i just had to repair the torque boxes. The rear torque box and rail repair section may cover that area and would be around $300 au , Vince at American auto parts may have one in stock if you are lucky. otherwise the full rail is about $300 USD plus shipping .Good luck

stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

Cant wait to see this machine in person, keep up the great work Shane!
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Plumbed up radiator...what a bitch. Tryed my luck at finding pre-formed radiator hoses with no luck. Ended up with Dayco flexhose that I will get braided, should look awesome.

Just wanted to double check my heater box/water pump config??

1) Lower water pump nipple to heater box
2) Heater box to inlet manifold (hole near front to left of dizzy)
3) Thermostat housing bypass to upper water pump nipple

Look all good?

Also is the inlet manifold hole beside the above hole for the temp sender?