Microsquirt failed HELP!!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Microsquirt failed HELP!!

Post by lukep6470 »

Hi,

My Microsquirt has failed. It appears the injector driver is just holding the injectors on and is pumping raw fuel into the motor.

All the sensors are reading OK just the car is running rich like a modern car on limp home mode.

Does anyone in Brisbane (Or Aus) have a Microsquirt or EECIV connector compatible Megasquirt that I could borrow for a week just to get the car back to the panelbeaters for an inspection?

If you have a new one you can spare I'll pay the going rate to replace it like for like. Please I just need the car on the road this week.

If a Holley could take 60 PSI fuel I'd put it back on!!
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Microsquirt failed HELP!!

Post by ozbilt »

lukep6470 wrote:
If a Holley could take 60 PSI fuel I'd put it back on!!
Put an adjustable regulator in the line.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I can't the regulator is a C5 Corvette fuel filter which is next to the tank.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

So the new Microsquirt arrived, I flashed it and plugged it in. The car ran just as bad :rage:

I went through and checked there wasn't a short in the wiring and it all looked OK.

I decided for s&*ts and giggles to unplug all the injectors and try to start the car. Guess what it ran better!!! :wbash:

So it turned out that after 2years of operation at least 4-5 of the no-name Bosch knock-off 42lb injectors had seized open. I replaced them with a set of genuine 36s and I'm back in business. :joy:

Just posting this in case someone else has a similar problem.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Sorry Luke, I didn't even see your original post.
I would have been happy to lend you mine temporarily.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

That's ok. I decided it's a good idea to have a spare anyway.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Interesting. Glad it is sorted.

You can use the second Microsquirt as a gearbox ECU (if you go that way at some point).
I will someday think of something clever to say.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Yeah the AOD is being a bit of a PITA is it hangs on far too long when slowing down.

Upshift is great but waiting until 800RPM to change back to first just sucks.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

What valve body are you using?
You might need a minor TV adjustment.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

It's a B&M transmission with all their bits in it. Once you have a shift kit in an AOD the TV adjustment only impacts upshift points and kickdown, the transmission will never slip if you have it set too low. I currently have it set to upshift like a stock transmission under light throttle.

Apparently downshift (Not kickdown) is up to the governor. It appears it is end user serviceable as it is in the tail section and you don't have to drop the pan or valvebody. I'm thinking of just buying a new one and slapping it in.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

lukep6470 wrote:It's a B&M transmission with all their bits in it. Once you have a shift kit in an AOD the TV adjustment only impacts upshift points and kickdown, the transmission will never slip if you have it set too low. I currently have it set to upshift like a stock transmission under light throttle.
Actually, that depends on the valve body that's installed. Yours probably has a constant pressure modification.
I have an aftermarket VB in mine and the TV can still affect the down shifts. If your TV adjustment is too high, it will think you still have your foot on the gas and will not change down as easily.
lukep6470 wrote: Apparently downshift (Not kickdown) is up to the governor. It appears it is end user serviceable as it is in the tail section and you don't have to drop the pan or valvebody. I'm thinking of just buying a new one and slapping it in.

Yes the governor plays it's part for both up and down shifts. It sits on the output shaft and relies on centrifugal force to open and close it.
If you have changed your rear end gearing, then your output shaft spins a lot faster for a given vehicle speed. So for instance, at 40KPH, your output shaft might be spinning at the equivalent of 60KPH with standard gearing. So the governor may not "release" until lower vehicle speeds.

Just swapping the governor won't fix that though unless yours is faulty. If you pull your output shaft housing off to remove it, you should be able to shake it in your hands and hear the ball in the governor move. If it does, there's probably nothing wrong with it.
Last edited by hybrid on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I've got 3.55s which are a little higher than what an AOD is normally used to. Maybe I should go for the Transgo hi rev kit for the governor?
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Was not most of the cars using this box around 3.73 rear?
Maybe that was later models.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

AOD.. my nemesis lol. I have 3.73 gears with my aod. And when I have my tv cable set right it appears to work well.. I look forward to going the later aod box one day. Shoulda got one when the dollar was good. Then again I drive like a grandma at the moment. 3k rpm makes a lot a noise which im not used to and either are my neighbours lol.

Since my oil pan change my tv pressure isnt right again so needs revisiting. Just as I had it perfect!! *shakes fist*
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Get the silverfox VB George ;)