Door alignment advice

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Door alignment advice

Post by 66STNG »

Me again,
Having some issues with my door gaps on the 66 coupe.
Repo doors, the gap from door to quarter is good, door to rocker is very poor. The gap is very large at the back of the door and tapers right down to nearly touching the rocker at the front.
The car is on a rottisserie, is this the issue????
66 basket case
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Door alignment advice

Post by hybrid »

You really should have the car on it's wheels or on stands to align the panels.
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Aw crap,
i knew you were going to say that...
66 basket case
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

hybrid wrote:You really should have the car on it's wheels or on stands to align the panels.
And even then you may still have to add some weld along the edge of the door.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

66STNG wrote:Repo doors
xpconnor wrote:And even then you may still have to add some weld along the edge of the door.

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Ewwwwwwwwww, my doors dont look that bad, they line up beter than that. i put on the LH door and it is good and the gap at the bottom is even. so the obvious question is how do i weld the left hand door to make the gap even?
66 basket case
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

66STNG wrote:the obvious question is how do i weld the left hand door to make the gap even?

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

StephenSLR wrote:
66STNG wrote:the obvious question is how do i weld the left hand door to make the gap even?

s
Whatever you do, what is shown in that video is absolutely the last resort. He has got himself in that bad position by incorrectly fitting or repairing the quarter panel. I have been in this trade for almost 48 years & have had to " add a weld" to probably less than 4 doors in my whole career. I can remember at least 2 & 1 was accident damaged, the other was a really badly fitted skin.

Guy, do not attempt to fit ANY panels until the shell is off the rotisserie & well supported (ie; flat & level) on the ground. You do not have a hope in hell of getting it anywhere near correct while it is mounted on the spit.
Last edited by ozbilt on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Ok Kerry.
i will drop the car off the rotisserie and refit the panels again when its back on the ground. ill see how it lines up then.
thanks for the guidance gents..
66 basket case
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

ozbilt wrote:Whatever you do, what is shown in that video is absolutely the last resort.
I've seen other methods, trimming a close gap and building it back with weld (risking distorting the panel)

and getting a laser straight gap using bog.

ozbilt wrote:do not attempt to fit ANY panels until the shell is off the rotisserie & well supported (ie; flat & level) on the ground.
... and fit window mechanism, door glass, etc. I've heard of guys putting in weights (simulating a complete door) to weigh down an empty door for alignment.

s
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

StephenSLR wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Whatever you do, what is shown in that video is absolutely the last resort.
I've seen other methods, trimming a close gap and building it back with weld (risking distorting the panel)

and getting a laser straight gap using bog.

ozbilt wrote:do not attempt to fit ANY panels until the shell is off the rotisserie & well supported (ie; flat & level) on the ground.
... and fit window mechanism, door glass, etc. I've heard of guys putting in weights (simulating a complete door) to weigh down an empty door for alignment.

s
Again, that is all crap. There is rarely any need to "weld" on an edge. Usually solder will build up any edge closing a gap that hammering will not do. If you look at that MG TC thread I did, you will see that I used lead to form the LH door top to the correct shape (same as the factory did). Remember when watching any US video, they have not trained apprentices post WWII, so the correct method of doing things has been lost.

As for putting weights in the door, how about just put the bloody thing together (as you should do, because repro doors usually need some tweeks to make everything fit PRIOR to paint) ?

Just about every thread here where people have talked about repro door, I have advised them to COMPLETELY assemble them, to check fit & correct issues, before paint.

With your doors Guy, I recommend you completely assemble them while you chase the gaps. There are no short cuts in this process.

Tell me I am ranting, but it pisses me off when these videos promote misinformation ...... :argh:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

ozbilt wrote:Tell me I am ranting, but it pisses me off when these videos promote misinformation
Not at all; it's all good advice, I agree about trade secrets lost over time and I thought the same thing; why not assemble the doors in the first place? lol.

s
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Totally agree Oz, as you know I'm a novice and always ask for advise as there are three ways to do things.
The wrong way
The easy way,
Then there is the right way, this method is usually sourced from ranting old farts who really know there stuff.
Again thanks for the info, will get right onto getting the car on all 4's.
66 basket case
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

Oz like Fish and Chips in the gong

:wink:
Cheers,
j