Grab A Trac leaf springs in OZ?

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Grab A Trac leaf springs in OZ?

Post by mungus »

Does anyone sell Grab A Trac leaf springs in OZ?
Couldn't find anyone via web search.
Only ex USA from Mustangs Plus.

I want a set of 4.5 leaf standard eyes. Rather not go as harsh as 5 leafs (if they are as hard as some say), nor do I want a lower ride height.

Anyone who knows who sells them here please post.
Thanks.
Last edited by mungus on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpy old git! 68’ S code Fastback
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Grab A Trac leaf springs in OZ?

Post by boofhead »

Consider just getting a spring shop to put an extra leaf into your existing leaf springs.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Thanks boof but my old springs are shot.
So if I'm paying for new I may as well get what I want.
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

If you are not dead set on Grab A Track for some reason Eaton makes the stock rated heavy duty 68 GT spring to OEM specs. (ML1389). Available from Eaton direct or via many parts vendors like NPD.

I think they will also make a pair of leafs to whatever spec you want, as in stock ride height but the 165 rate of the GATs (over the 135 stock GT/Shelby rate).

Have seen a wide range of views on the GATs over the years. Issues related to varying ride height, and many note the 4.5 are very harsh. The former could just be the inevitable mix-and-match of parts (those that don't get tires/rims makes as much difference to ride height as the springs) and just going from flogged soft springs to new...
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Note all things being the same a stiffer spring pack (assuming same eye configuration and static arch) will result in a higher ride height.

Displacement = Spring rate x Force.

Stiffer extra leaf spring packs with standard eye configuration is not too common as most want a mid-eye or reverse eye.

FYI - TCP makes nice springs as well.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Thanks about the feedback on the Grab A Traks. I'll have a look at the Eatons too.

Looks wise I prefer the SD's due the charcoal factory"ish" colour. Locally available and not expensive.
However they only sell 4 or 5 leaf standard eyes. I am running bigger wheels / tyres than standard and so want the strandard height. Minor issues for me are I live in the country with not the best roads and I'll be having 2 kids in the back at times plus running a 22 USG tank. So in short a lower ride is not what I want.

No interest in reverse eyes and mid eyes only with a slightly stiffer rate.

The 4.5 leafs sounded a good idea due the half leaf positioned to reduce wind up.
I had planned to fit Shelby type traction bars for that, before I was talked out of it by the suggestion of the 4.5 or 5 leaf springs handling that issue on their own.

I'll keep looking...

I've considered buying the SD 4 leafs and if they don't do what I want just adding the half leaf at a local spring maker.
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

I have a new-in-box set of OEM Traction Masters if you decide to go that route.

The Eaton's have the correct dark grey finish too.

Just one thought, if you do go for a mix-n-match and having a local add a leaf may want to look at having them re-arch the OEM with the part number and add it for that "original" touch...
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

mert wrote:I have a new-in-box set of OEM Traction Masters if you decide to go that route.

The Eaton's have the correct dark grey finish too.

Just one thought, if you do go for a mix-n-match and having a local add a leaf may want to look at having them re-arch the OEM with the part number and add it for that "original" touch...
Thanks Richard,

I've just checked out Eatons listings and as you say they make many offerings.
One thing I like is that they make different engine specific springs, just as FORD fitted in the day, rather than a one size fits all...
I may end up trying the SD 5 leafs as they are easy and cheap to buy, look right and should control the wind up issue.
Given my other height issues they might be the best compromise...
Just spoke to a bloke whose running them with good shocks who reckons they aren't too harsh and tightened the rear up nicely.
I wont be running a bar, just the springs and a set of adjustable Konis etc. So should be a good start.

Thanks for everyone's help.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

I found 5 leafs stiff and I am fairly tolerant with susp stiffness (ie fronts are 550 lb, konis wound full hard currently from last track day).

The car will sound like its falling apart interior panelling will rattle and shake etc over crappy country roads. Just my 2c
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I wouldn't be worried about it being too low. This is mine with grab a track 4.5 leaf reverse eyes in the back and I think I will need to get them reset as it is way too high. Still no fuel tank or seats but if myself and my brother sit on the back of it (150+kg) it is still way too high. I am going to try putting a heap of weight in the trunk and getting the car to the height I want and then tightening everything up as I read somewhere that can help but I'm not holding my breath.

I had a look back to try and remember who I got them through but I must have deleted the emails. I remember ordering from a couple of US sites but they cancelled the orders as they couldn't confirm my address or credit card or something as an Australian customer. Can't remember if I finally found somewhere that shipped them or if I got them sent to shermatt in the US and then he put them in another car he was shipping out. I will go and see what I can find in my receipts.

"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Think you will find them too hard and too high.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Guess I could go back to the SD 4 spring then maybe add 1/2 leaf idea then. Would be nice to see a completed car with each fitted.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

trav68 wrote:I found 5 leafs stiff and I am fairly tolerant with susp stiffness (ie fronts are 550 lb, konis wound full hard currently from last track day).

The car will sound like its falling apart interior panelling will rattle and shake etc over crappy country roads. Just my 2c
Good feedback, I certainly don't want a rattle box.

I'm now thinking my best bet may be to go for the Eaton 68' 390 "improved handling" leaf springs.
Seems they have one specific for the job. (390 GT 68'). Eaton's own lsted P/N is ML477.
Not that high a spring rate though @ 135 lbs Perhaps too soft?
Couldn't find the P/N you mentioned Mert. The GT390 68'improved handling front springs are MC1300, is that what you were thinking of?
Last edited by mungus on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

A set of Eatons, Koni shocks, Shelby track rods should do the trick....
Last edited by Pinto-Pete on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Just checked my receipts and mine were from mustangs unlimited, shipped to a US address and then put in the boot of a car and shipped here. Not much help to you so as you mentioned the eatons might be your best option.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"