Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Electrical Gremlins!!

Post by Ronin187 »

G'day guys!

Haven't been on for awhile, but was deployed overseas for 6 months and have come back to find some strange issues with my 67 coupe.

As most know before I left I'd installed an American Auto Wire harness, with Mustang Project rear non-sequential tail lights and their LED parker / indicator units that I finally got hooked up correctly thanks to a lot of people here!

So after jumping back in the girl and going through a list of pre start checks this is happening:

-LHS front and rear indicators flash when TS switched
-RHS front and rear indicators do not flash when TS switched
-4-way's flash when selected but
-front RHS flashes but is very weak
-with light switch pulled half out 4-ways flash slower
-with light switch pulled fully out 4-ways cease to flash.
- with light switch half out and RHS TS is selected all lights and readouts on my Dakota Digital dash come on.

Before I left I took her for a spin and everything was working, and I cant think for the life of me what's possibly changed since I've been gone. No-ones been in the car nor has she been driven.

Things I've checked
-Fuses: all good, though the 15 amp hazard was blown, now replaced.
-Grounds: front RHS parker was a bit dodgey, so I re-grounded and I'm going to replace both RHS and LHS with new units
-Bulbs: both RHS and LHS are dual filament 1157 and in working condition, but I'll install new ones while I'm at it.

I am also using a Flaming River adjustable column. If there's any pertinent info left out let me know and I'll try to fill in the blanks.

This is really bumming me out, I was really looking forward ot getting back and taking her out for a spin, and then onto rego, but that's going to have to wait till I can get this figured out...
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Electrical Gremlins!!

Post by ozbilt »

Check ALL your ground (earth) wires are on clean metal with star washers between them and the bare metal. Most electrical issues are a ground issue and the fact you have been away would allow corrosion issues.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

I have to agree with Kerry, double check all grounds. They are the most difficult of faults to isolate.
From what you have said, I would look closely at that RHS. To save some time and guess work make a long jumper wire with one end connected to the negative battery terminal and then earth it directly to the lights in question.
There is obviously some grounding happening but it may not be good enough to carry the current required.
Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

Oh shoot, forgot to update this!!

As usual you guys were all over this like a rash on a dirty sailor!

Found some very suspect ground wires on my front indicators. Something that I'd never got round to really inspecting or replacing. so a quick trip to Sydney Mustang Spares and voila!!! everything works!!!!!

So thanks a lot for your input guys, its helped me immensely!!