Mustang wreckers for 68 sheet metal?

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Mustang wreckers for 68 sheet metal?

Post by mungus »

Anyone know of a decent wrecker (stateside I guess) who has a few 68's? I'm looking for a pair of rear quarter reflector indentations. I've seen a few articles where people have cut them out of early 68' donor cars...

I know that with a lot of time ($$$) they can be made up but this is the easiest route.

There are so many wreckers I need a point in the right direction.
Help appreciated.
Last edited by mungus on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpy old git! 68’ S code Fastback
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Mustang wreckers for 68 sheet metal?

Post by Nuts »

Ask Oz to make up a couple for you, if it's within his skillset that is!! :poke:
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

mungus wrote:I'm looking for a pair of rear quarter reflector indentations.

I know that with a lot of time ($$$) they can be made up but this is the easiest route.
Buy the whole rear quarter panels $500 each

http://www.cal-mustang.com/MUSTANG-FAST ... C3021.aspx

cut the indentations out for yourself, weld in straight sheet metal then on-sell the panels to someone looking for 67 panels, lol.

I would've thought that making them would probably be cheaper and quicker.

s
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

😀 Ha! Yup well we all know I'm made of money. Whats a grand to a bloke like me?

Yes I have seen the latest rear quarters with the early 68 indents. Lovely stuff. Alas the PO put new rear quarters on just before I bought it and they are the standard 67/68 smooth ones.

Have seen a few doing the swap, thats well within my skill set, but beating out a pair of decent indents, probably not!
The sections required aren't big or heavy so post is bugger all. All I need is to find a yard with some earlyish 68's...
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Nuts wrote:Ask Oz to make up a couple for you, if it's within his skillset that is!! :poke:
Now I like that idea... OZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ where are ya?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

mungus wrote:
Nuts wrote:Ask Oz to make up a couple for you, if it's within his skillset that is!! :poke:
Now I like that idea... OZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ where are ya?
Not here ......... :outtahere:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

mungus wrote:Anyone know of a decent wrecker (stateside I guess) who has a few 68's? I'm looking for a pair of rear quarter reflector indentations. I've seen a few articles where people have cut them out of early 68' donor cars...

There are so many wreckers I need a point in the right direction.
Help appreciated.
You will be flat out finding a wrecker that still has older Mustangs in stock. Best bet would be the south east of the USA, but getting them to understand the complexities of mailing you the part will be quite an adventure.
Kerry

mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

And on the repros check them very carefully. When I needed one for the S GT coupe all the repro ones at that time had an incorrect scoop curve, for some odd reason its followed the 67 curves (I guess to stamp the base skin fro 67 and 68 and then stamp out the 67 holes for the "fins", but just a guess), and would not fit the 68 quarter ornaments.

Had to buy one full 1/4 with the wrong scoop but the early rear indent, a second skin with the right scoop, and swap the scoop... PITA...
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Aussie 73 ZF -77 ZH Fairlanes and possibly LTD have similar rear markers, dont know if they are the same size. Also may not be easy to find at wreckers. Just another avenue to explore :shrug:

mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

scott66stang wrote:Aussie 73 ZF -77 ZH Fairlanes and possibly LTD have similar rear markers, dont know if they are the same size. Also may not be easy to find at wreckers. Just another avenue to explore :shrug:

The first one does indeed look very similar. I'll check that idea out.

Thanks.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

mungus wrote:😀 Ha! Yup well we all know I'm made of money. Whats a grand to a bloke like me?
lol, yes my post was tongue in cheek and the long and expensive way to go about it but the idea was to on-sell these and get most of your money back.

s
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

mungus wrote:
scott66stang wrote:Aussie 73 ZF -77 ZH Fairlanes and possibly LTD have similar rear markers, dont know if they are the same size. Also may not be easy to find at wreckers. Just another avenue to explore :shrug:

The first one does indeed look very similar. I'll check that idea out.

Thanks.
They are not even close.

I can do the pressings if you want, I would need a marker lamp or sample of the pressing. Will not be until June though as I will be in the USA until then.
Kerry

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

and why do you want the indent anyway, they were stuck on in the latter '68's in an attempt to make up time after the strike.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Ausjacko wrote:they were stuck on in the latter '68's in an attempt to make up time after the strike.
I had a feeling that some of them were; I thought perhaps they were 67's that had them retro-fitted.

s
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

StephenSLR wrote:
Ausjacko wrote:they were stuck on in the latter '68's in an attempt to make up time after the strike.
I had a feeling that some of them were; I thought perhaps they were 67's that had them retro-fitted.

s
Jacko was spot on. The later ones were the Cougar reflector. Saved the time by not doing one more job (the pressing) and the reflectors were close by because Cougars were built on the same line.
Kerry