Reverse lights blowing fuse

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

srh
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Reverse lights blowing fuse

Post by srh »

Hi all,got an all stock 289/C4 68 convertible,problem has just started when i put it into reverse it blows the fuse for indicators/reverse lights/gear position light on gear shift.would it be the switch on side of gearbox or is there somewhere else i should look? Don't know where to start looking.....
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Reverse lights blowing fuse

Post by hybrid »

It's got to be either the switch, or somewhere between the switch and the stop lights.
ants
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by ants »

Put in a new fuse and unplug both reverse lights. Turn the key on and put it in reverse. If it doesn't blow the fuse the problem is in one of the lights, plug in one light at a time until the fuse blows. This will show which light is faulty.
If it still blows the fuse when you have the lights unplugged the fault is up the line. Plug the lights back in and unplug the inhibitor switch. Bridge the two reverse light wires (red with blue trace I think are inhibitor so other two are reverse, don't remember the colour) turn the key on. If reverse lights work fault is in the switch, if fuse blows fault is in the harness between inhibitor switch and the reverse light plugs.
If the fault was before the inhibitor switch it would blow the fuse as soon as the key was turned on.
srh
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by srh »

thanks guys,gives me somewhere to start😀
66RavenGTCoupe
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 66RavenGTCoupe »

Had the same problem and it was the wire from the reverse light that had worn through the plastic insulation and was shorting out on the body where the wire goes into the boot at the bottom well of the rear quarter. The grommet had come out and wire was rubbing against the hole. New grommet - old problem!
Wife said "I'd love a Mustang" and I said "I love my wife!" 6T07A161***