Mustang II suspension

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Rayatswan
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Mustang II suspension

Post by Rayatswan »

Hi Guys, Has anyone installed Mustang II suspension into their early Mustang.
The installation looks easy enough but what about performance, If this stuff handles as well as the sales people say it does then everyone would be doing this conversion!
Any thoughts appreciated.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Mustang II suspension

Post by boofhead »

First thing is they are not all the same. Some are great, some are not so great - like anything. Using a Mustang II spindle is not the best approach today. As far as install - they are all easy enough. A lot of kits use original holes in the rails to locate the cross member. Far easier than welding spindles.

Most owners do not bother because the majority builds do not need it and do not want the hassle of cost and engineers report etc.

I personally believe the front need more support because you are cutting significant sections of strength. So I would run support structure from the frame (front and mid) back to the main body as either separate structure or a part of the roll cage.

Now which product for your build - I would want a superior front setup and assuming your thinking AutoX you want a setup with superior geometry features. One I would consider is the Roadster Shop set up. Used corvette spindles superior arms and geometry with easy modern alignment and allows up to a 9 to 10 inch from rim. See link for a good overview.

http://roadstershop.com/roadster-shop-f ... g-chassis/

As you can see in the RS set up alot of material around the top Arm connection points with secondary supports and extra strength add back to the torque boxes while a lot of the Mustang II fronts set ups use just a skinny tube as a connection point for the upper arms, no extra strength, no tie in to the rest of the car, old Mustang II spindle and only a basic cross member. There are other products around which are also good just take your time and research.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

That's the shit Boof
Rayatswan
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Rayatswan »

This is going to be a headache, I am really looking forward to it!
At this stage I am still leaning towards modified original suspension because I am keen to run the old "Trans Am" style brakes.
More research required.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Shaunp wrote:That's the shit Boof
It sure is - if I was going to go to that next level in my Fastback I was going to go with this set up. I would also go the independent rear if the money tree would extend to it.

I went to Morgan Park last weekend to watch some of the racing - man I wanted to join in. Shame I did not get involved a few years ago.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

boofhead wrote:
It sure is - if I was going to go to that next level in my Fastback I was going to go with this set up. I would also go the independent rear if the money tree would extend to it.

I went to Morgan Park last weekend to watch some of the racing - man I wanted to join in. Shame I did not get involved a few years ago.
Yeah we could have gone 1/2 in the Banana yellow 67 T/A car Woody has. It did ok at the last round with someone else driving it.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Shaunp wrote:
boofhead wrote:

Yeah we could have gone 1/2 in the Banana yellow 67 T/A car Woody has. It did ok at the last round with someone else driving it.
That would have been great.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Wow, that is the shit alright. Not too bad on price for what you get either.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

SO what about the late model falcon IRS stuff? It sells on the bay a lot for not too much money. Is the track way off or something?
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Yes - Track is to wide to start.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Tempting to sell the fast back and just build one up from one of these as a proper pro touring track pig. Maybe I should send a T code shell and one of these chassis ozbuilts way to make one for me. ...

Wonder whats involved in mounting the unibody on frame?
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Go for it Trav. :angel:
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

The market is crap ATM, so keep the fastback. Just build the other anyway.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Good idea Trav.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Cant justify two toys unfortunately...even if i do drive mine to work making it a daily i guess??