FiTech injection. To buy or not to buy

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

FiTech injection. To buy or not to buy

Post by smh00n »

Is it worth it spending circa $1,900 for a FiTech EFI system for all the benefits they provide? I have an AED 650DP but am worried about the cold performance (I have a sort of steep driveway and last car was a biatch to get up).

Also, the plug and play part is pretty cool too as I really don't want to have to dyno it and fart around with it.

I'm leaving for the US tomorrow so no drama to get a kit and stick it in me bag and haul it back.

2 Large is a hurt but maybe the long term benefit will be worth it? I dunno how much tuning a carb will need (I have full MSD ignition for it)

And finally after this holiday I will have time to make this thing a finished vehicle.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: FiTech injection. To buy or not to buy

Post by Shaunp »

I know this guy from another Mustang site he is running a 347 alloy head engine with it and he's pretty happy, car seems strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM_iLJ5AIPE
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

damn. I got 389 gears hope I can light it up like that bad boy.

Think I might not be sightseeing in NYC for a day
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I am not a fan for several reasons. It is not the product as such - my problem applies to the design. The equivalent Holley, MSD, etc etc etc brand have the same problems. It boils down to it not being any better than a carbi while I personally do not see that the autonomous self tuning is superior to carefully manually tuned. My experience it is not - sure it can get close and being an inferior EFI approach this might help the success of the auto tune.

Having said that I have played with a few (not this product) and it had turned out quite well (as in each owner was happy). So go for it - but I would bet you can get the Holley Carbi going just as well.
Last edited by boofhead on Fri May 20, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Valid comments Boof. However, I am looking at the cost and hassle of having the carb tuned - I need to find someone who can do it well, is close by and reasonable price - versus the ease of having the thing tuned automatically.

What I will need to reconcile is do I spend the $2,000 and will it do what I want, which are ease of tuning, economy and performance, both cold and WOT.

My sums are, and maybe this is just to convince me; I have a carb that cost me $850. I need a regulator and hoses for around $150. Last car I had dynoed cost me $500 and still needed a bit more time to perfect. So I am in $1,550 at this point and still have cold start questions (pulling a choke cable is so last century).

So the dollars are close. The last question is performance and based on the video Shaun posted, there is crisp response from idle. Am I right in thinking that even an excellent carb setup will still suffer stutter off idle, when given a boot full (I believe the term is "I gave it some jandal")? I want to avoid that.

I think I will take it, next hassle will be finding a supplier who has them in stock as they are about 3 weeks behind at present.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

No reason why a carb would stumble off idle other than its not set up correctly, remember if you have an AED like many other HO type made by QFT or Holley carbs you have no choke so cold running will be a compromise for a couple of minutes.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Those throttle body injection setups are no better than a well set up carb as far as throttle response goes. The fuel is still being injected right up the top like a carb does anyway.
If your accelerator pump on the carb is set up right, it's doing the same thing.

I would say if you've got the money and you're happy to do all the wiring etc, then go for it.
I'm interested to see what happens to these "self tuning" systems when the O2 sensor dies or becomes inaccurate.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

The Fitech has annular discharge, which hopefully means the fuel is introduced halfway down the choke, and they have a video that shows that: https://youtu.be/MQP0766hGFM
I'm coming from Webers so all this stuff is new to me.

I guess if I am not getting anything that a god carb won't deliver then the value for money is not there.
I do want to go multi port anyway, if I do go injection. Or just stuff it full of a 429CJ.

So far we have votes to keep the carb. Any advance on that? Someone will have to give me the name of a decent dyno tuner in the Hills District.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I have used unigroup in Girraween before.. they're pretty good.
You'd have to find out if they are comfortable with carbs though - mine have all been injected.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

The QF750DP on Cages car is annual discharge set up. Again no advantage - so indeed it comes back to getting the tune working well for either fuel delivery system. I would suggest you use the Carbi (as you have it) and get a book on tuning Holleys and enjoy the adventure of doing it yourself while saving a few dollars. Mind you I do understand if you prefer to go the Electric Carbi or better still would be a port injection set up.

Note: If you do decide to tune the Carbi a AFR meter would be a nice addition for the feedback on what is going on.

Note 2: You could do a megasquirt set up as well. gbx, hybrid, kistr and myself all run it in different ways and set ups - lots of help here. We do like to stuff around with our cars though so DIY is no problem (which does not suite everyone).
Last edited by boofhead on Fri May 20, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Yes, Unigroup is where I went. He knows his stuff as every run got more power.

Looks like I am sticking with my AED carb. Now I have $2,000 to spend in the US. I wonder what that will get me....
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Hookers and Blow...
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Now you are talking Boof
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I think he means a set of headers and a supercharger.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

hybrid wrote:I think he means a set of headers and a supercharger.
Personally I think Boofheads suggestion would be far more fun in the short term.....