hydraulic upgrade

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

hydraulic upgrade

Post by 123abc »

looking to upgrade to a hyd clutch any feed back on mdl ones and I seen some from American power train that look to give a good angle for the rod so any info would be good I am currently using cable conv
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hydraulic upgrade

Post by ozbilt »

MDL make a great one. Easy to fit & work well.

I assume your car is lhd & standard toploader or Tremec 5?
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

One more thing, always use the multi fingered pressure plate, not the old 3 finger Ford one that was in there standard. That is what causes most of the issues.
Kerry

123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

I have a lhd with a t5 and a diaphragm type clutch just find the cable heavy and with my headers and power steering along with the clevo theres not much choice for routing the cable
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

123abc wrote:I have a lhd with a t5 and a diaphragm type clutch just find the cable heavy and with my headers and power steering along with the clevo theres not much choice for routing the cable
Great. Just tell them at MDL what you have & they will do the rest. Say hi from me :smile:
Kerry

123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

so no feed back on the American powertrain kit and hydramax bearing
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

The Hydraulic slave built into the thrust bearing is and has been used successfully by many.
You do need to verify the adjustments carefully though RTM is the solution.

My issue with them is if it fails (unlike an external slave cylinder) the gearbox needs to come out. Is this a problem? Does not often appear to be.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

That's how my brothers BA Falcon is... it was a PITA to have to pull the gearbox, but that's the first one that's died.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

123abc wrote:I have a lhd with a t5 and a diaphragm type clutch just find the cable heavy and with my headers and power steering along with the clevo theres not much choice for routing the cable
Which T5 do you have?
I would like to fit a LHD bell housing to my T5 ( AU XR8), so I am hoping you can tell me what your bell housing is from.
cheers
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

my t5 and bell is out of an 87 gt mustang wasn't the best inide but I just got new gearset and bearing kit and ill let you know how it all goes when it comes back
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Thanks for that, I will start a new thread asking about compatible bell housings Falcon T5's.
geoff289
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by geoff289 »

I have a T5 behind a roller cam 5.0 in my '66 using a standard aluminium 5.0 bellhousing (trans and bell from '94 Mustang) and Modern Driveline hydraulic actuation including the internal concentric slave cylinder/throw out bearing combo. Not hard to measure and set up and has been absolutely problem free since I put it in two years ago. Initial bleeding was a bit tedious but once done I haven't touched it. Yes the trans would have to come out to get at it if it needed any attention but that hasn't happened and it means there is no issue with header clearance, exhaust heat melting cables or whatever.

The pedal is nice and light. The MDL master cylinder and pedal linkage is a particularly good bit of gear. It is engineered to multiply the leverage of the pedal so there is more force on the master than you are applying with your foot, hence the nice light pedal. It also offsets the master so that it's hard up against the inner fender under the square wiring plug going through the firewall. This way there is plenty of room for brake boosters which can otherwise be a problem in a LHD car.

I can't comment on the other products but I am happy with my set up and found MDL great to deal with.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

nassi wrote:
Which T5 do you have?
I would like to fit a LHD bell housing to my T5 ( AU XR8), so I am hoping you can tell me what your bell housing is from.
cheers
Just remember the xr8 t5's had a shorter input shaft than the us t5's, and the xr6's had a longer input shaft. So you either have to get the input shaft changed if you want to use the mustang bellhousing, or you can get one from dellows but they are pretty expensive and can come with their own dramas
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

I have the hydraulic setup from Malwood. Hydraulic thrust bearing, and you send him the pedal box and he modifies it slightly to include a ford clutch master cylinder directly to the clutch pedal. Very tidy if you have a big booster or you want the extra space. Haven't driven it yet so can't comment on that, but it is a nice clean setup.
Last edited by Husky65 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Husky65 wrote:I have the hydraulic setup from Malwood. Hydraulic thrust bearing, and you send him the pedal box and he modifies it slightly to include a ford clutch master cylinder directly to the clutch pedal. Very tidy if you have a big booster or you want the extra space. Haven't driven it yet so can't comment on that, but it is a nice clean setup.
That is the same setup I am adapting to "Patience" for John. Falcon clutch setup & I will be fitting it to the pedal box.
Kerry