pressure plates

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

pressure plates

Post by 123abc »

can anybody tell me if an early diaphragm pressure plate is the same as a later t5 pressure plate i'm just having some lever issues
my clutch lever sits nearly at the back of housing almost touches and clutch kit is an early fairlane type multi fingered type not the 3 finger one I've already taken the washer from under the pivot
do they have different length pivots
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: pressure plates

Post by 123abc »

seems there is a difference in the pressure plates I was told that it wouldn't matter when I ordered this clutch but it seems an early fairlane 302 is different to later eb falcon ,mustang pressure plates .
1 size early fairlane 302 10" 351 11"
2 later mustang, eb, au falc 5.0 10.5"
mdl state that if your lever is too far back that you have a manual linkage pressure plate and must be swapped for a hydraulic pressure plate apparently its is the amount of movement to disengage the clutch plate is the difference will ring exedy tomorrow and check for sure
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

123abc wrote:seems there is a difference in the pressure plates I was told that it wouldn't matter when I ordered this clutch but it seems an early fairlane 302 is different to later eb falcon ,mustang pressure plates .
1 size early fairlane 302 10" 351 11"
2 later mustang, eb, au falc 5.0 10.5"
mdl state that if your lever is too far back that you have a manual linkage pressure plate and must be swapped for a hydraulic pressure plate apparently its is the amount of movement to disengage the clutch plate is the difference will ring exedy tomorrow and check for sure
Great to see you doing the research & getting back to us (because we don't know ........ :$ )
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

haven't got it to work yet as long as the fly wheel is correct it should be ok pro comp 157 tooth multi drilled 302 351 flywheel just on that topic
the part number for eb falcon clutch kit pbr
clutch industries R1194n the same for a 87 mustang 5.0 and eb falcon
eb falcon part number for exedy fmk-6973 the same as 87 5.0 mustang

both of these are listed for either mustang and falcon while early fairlane is fmk-6906 for a 10" kit, mdl do offer a replacement kit for a (10"long plate) their description
it definitely is a learning curve
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

so its all back in and working box is a little tight ( never thought I would hear myself say that) I guess it has to wear in a little so here it is aussie parts needed are as follows
clutch industries R1194n clutch and pressure plate kit for a 87 mustang 5.0 and eb falcon
or exedy fmk-6973 the same as 87 5.0 mustang kit
with a pro comp 28 oz 157tooth flywheel PART NO pce229.1009
new arp shouldered clutch bolts
this is the parts you can source from oz easily and at a good price

there is a big difference between the early diaphragm pressure plate and the eb or the 87 mustang 5.0 about 14 mm in height and the operating distance is shorter so there you have it pressure plate questions answered
Last edited by 123abc on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Great stuff getting back to us with the results and solutions. :thumbs:
I will someday think of something clever to say.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Thank you, good info.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

oh f@$KING what now all out again looks like the sandwhich plate is hitting on something
but the clutch works and gearbox is good only hits when you push in clutch
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

yeah so apparently there is a difference in the bottom end of a clevo ,size it does matter.
the pressed indentation part of the sandwich plate is hitting on the flywheel pushed out by the sump and bottom end, no chance of it missing lucky have a spare will trim the old one first
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

I like your persistence, good luck. I think you are due for some.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

as ive found with the clevo most parts will fit but the ones that don't are only out by a little but may as well be a different brand of engine and overlooked by ford but hey that's cars for ya
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

trimmed out offending metal to sandwich plate eg just the bit around the lip of sump and presto I have enough room to drive a truck between the flywheel and plate so clevo people if you are using a t5 bell and box be aware the Windsor sandwhich plate may foul
thanks for the info ozbilt
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

update everything is working great no probs with the cable this weekend im doing the hydraulic upgrade let you know how it goes