Moderator: Moderators

shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Total Control Products...ADR approved?

Post by shan75 »

Hi all,

First post....

I am currently in negotiations to purchase a 1968 Mustang, but it has had some modifications made to suspension and steering.

He has spent quite a bit of money upgrading the car with Total Control Products gear.

Front Coiliovers (bolt on I believe)
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/fcss-fd.html

Steering rack, pump and components (tie rods, control arms etc)
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/steering.html

Rear coilover system which includes diff housing:
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/sup ... ear_AT.jpg

So essentially TCP for power steering pump, upper and lower control arms, the tie rod set, strut rods, anti-roll bars, bolt in center support, strut tower braces and steering column shaft set

I have approached the manufacturer, but thought I would check here as well.

Has anyone engineered this stuff for VICTORIA? Does it pass muster? Looks like quality gear, but I was more familiar with RRS gear (which usually has ADR approval). I did a search and found posts of TCP gear mentioned (and being used), but was not sure if anyone had gone through the process of getting a car with any of this gear onto the road and past inspections.

Any advice appreciated.

I do not want to create a massive engineering headache for myself. Would break my heart to buy a car and have to pull the gear off for inspection and refit under guidance of engineer to keep him happy. The job is top notch and looks the business. Do not want to pay for the gear if it cannot be used though.

Biggest concern I have is the rear setup. Some welding and holes drilled into chassis (see image attached).
Steering rack also a bit of a worry.

Any tips/experiences I would be grateful.

Cheers,
Shanan
Last edited by shan75 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Total Control Products...ADR approved?

Post by hybrid »

Some of the boys here have it installed in NSW (with engineers report), but not sure about VIC.
shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by shan75 »

Which options they running? Do you know?

TCP make a few different things (obviously), be great to get clarification on the same products.

Maybe I am stressing over nothing and engineer will pass no probs. Prefer to be cautious though.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

shan75 wrote:Which options they running? Do you know?

TCP make a few different things (obviously), be great to get clarification on the same products.

Maybe I am stressing over nothing and engineer will pass no probs. Prefer to be cautious though.
Engineering is no issue in any state as there are many with that work done (all of it). That being said, all those cars have had the mods installed here in Australia.

The drama you are going to have is importing it in the first place. You need to call Canberra and ask if they will allow a car that has been modified since 1989 into the country without a hassle.

I will call you later this evening when I get home. Just been into the US Consulate to renew our US passports.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Big Mc is spot on re importing a modified car.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

*raises hand* im one of those that hybrid and ozbilt speak of but im in NSW. I have all the gear you speak of plus more. As mentioned these were installed here in australia not imported already installed on the car.

There are a few here the same, passed by an engineer who is by the book and quite detailed not one of those others.

I do know of a couple guys who have imported a suspension and brake modified mustang (not tcp but late model mustang suspension and brakes on a vintage that is also tubbed) with no major hassles and with import approvals but im not across those details or rules so cant comment.
Last edited by gbx78 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

The import rules (as I understand it - so check) was changed a few years ago that disallowed modified cars to be imported. I have not idea how they would know but it is what it is. Do check before you try as it might be labeled as unable to road register in OZ.
Last edited by boofhead on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

gbx78 wrote:I do know of a couple guys who have imported a suspension and brake modified mustang (not tcp but late model mustang suspension and brakes on a vintage that is also tubbed) with no major hassles
It's likely the modifications weren't declared and the inspectors didn't go into great detail looking it over. Anything sticking out of the bonnet stands out like a sore thumb and wouldn't get approved as far as I'm aware.

s
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Hi As the guys have mentioned you are asking two different questions. You can get the gear engineered here but getting a modded car through customs is a bit nerve wracking. i suggest you have a look at the import forms. They tell you what is allowed and what ain't When I Brought mine in high powered chevy engined Eleanor's were a definite nono mine had some aftermarket gear incl some tcp and fiberglass panels, I Used some creative license on the forms as the intent at the time was to take it back to stock somewhat but it was at my own risk as they can always send it back. I used an importer in Qld where the port inspections were I understand less stringent than Vic or NSW or non existent for that matter. From memory the forms required stock everything or vintage era mods but things may have changed in the last few years.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

As far as lm aware boof the rule haven't changed as such merely enforced..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Sorry,sorry 10 posts on topic, my bad,..... anyone know if Heidt's suspension is eng approved here..?
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Meanwhile, I'm over here in SA choosing which factory option colour to choose from because I'm not even allowed to use anything else 👎
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Convert to RHD and the options open up.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by shan75 »

Hi guys - thanks for comments.

I see I might have been focusing on the wrong subject. As some have kindly pointed out, getting import approval could be the first hurdle.

Been a while since I imported anything. Previously I simply took photos of the car and engine bay - sent them off with my import approval application and I was good to go.

I was told back then, everything was ok as long as it did not have stuff hanging out of the hood. If it was not "in your face" type mod's - was usually approved.

Do they actually inspect the undercarriage and suspension in customs?

I have since discovered the TCP gear has been approved and used on cars locally - so I reckon I should be ok getting approvals once it is here. Sounds like getting it here is going to be a massive issue though??

I will re-post with a new question I think: Importing cars with modifications....

Thanks all.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Pinto-Pete wrote:As far as lm aware boof the rule haven't changed as such merely enforced..
Pete, I'm running a Heidts 4 link rear and I think Derwin in Brissy is as well. My engineer didn't have an issue with it. Isn't Heidts now owned by TCP??
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic