Base for a new project

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Base for a new project

Post by Husky65 »

Ok fellas I'm sort of thinking out loud here, so bear with me.
I'm starting to plan the next build and wanted some advice regarding the base vehicle.
I've always wanted to do a...drumroll...wait for it......eleanor build. While I'm happy with my current build, and will keep it for years to come, I feel like I've learnt so much off my first build and want to put the lessons learned into another build.

Now, while I won't be getting head on into the build for a few years, I am browsing ebay/carsales etc, and if a good base for the build turns up, I may purchase it and put it in storage.

The question is, what is a good base financially speaking?

The build will most likely utilize a local supercharged coyote from the falcons/fpv's. It will be a full restomod build, so the actual mechanics of the donor car don't matter for much. I guess it's the condition of the body, but then again, it will be getting fibreglassed and resprayed.

So, from those of you that are experts in this area, if you were going to do a build like this, would you look for:

A. A recently restored 67/68, and then sell of the parts not needed. Initial cost $$$
B. An ok(maybe older resto)condition 67/68, perhaps not running, still needs a bit of body work, sell the parts not needed. Initial cost $$
C. A pretty crappy 67/68, rusted out, needs a fair bit of bodywork. Initial cost $
D. Some other route

I noticed that there is one on ebay in VIC that has what looks like an ok eleanor kit fitted on it already, at about 32g ono. I thought this might be an ok price for a something I could just throw in storage for a few years, which is what got me thinking about the topic. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282349699922 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Let me know what I should be looking for.
Last edited by Husky65 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Base for a new project

Post by Shaunp »

If you are going to hack it up for coyote why not buy a 1/2 solid Coupe there are a couple on ebay etc for less then 10k and replace 1/4s, top etc etc. Conversely if you are going to use a modern engine you could probably do it with a new shell, emissions is the biggest deal getting them complied. That Coshy on the moring show has Dyna corn 67 I think that mob at the gold coast built for him and it has an LS engine in it so then didnt have to cut the towers out of it.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

The thing that worries me with an aftermarket shell is having to source all the little bits and pieces(especially interior pieces) that you may struggle to find aftermarket. And is registration an issue?

I have also looked into the coupe to hardtop conversion, and it is pretty hard to find a fastback roof in australia. I know you can get the dynacorn roof kit, but by the time you purchase that kit and then the man hours to fit it all, you would probably be above the cost of a cheaper local fastback. I looked into it with my 65 coupe and it would have cost about 20g, not doing the work myself.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Also in regards to the dynacorn shell piece and my original post, by them time you get all the bits and pieces, as in all the interior, the glass parts, the door parts, etc etc....will it still be cheaper than buying a good local car and selling of the bits I don't need???
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Husky65 wrote:The thing that worries me with an aftermarket shell is having to source all the little bits and pieces(especially interior pieces) that you may struggle to find aftermarket. And is registration an issue?

I have also looked into the coupe to hardtop conversion, and it is pretty hard to find a fastback roof in australia. I know you can get the dynacorn roof kit, but by the time you purchase that kit and then the man hours to fit it all, you would probably be above the cost of a cheaper local fastback. I looked into it with my 65 coupe and it would have cost about 20g, not doing the work myself.

Hmm I guess you have to weight converting a good coupe shell , pay big money for good FB shell , or spending big money fixing a rough shell, either way its a spending project which is going to owe you toward $100k. Rust repairs, paint and fitting an E kit are spendy, I think. Oz built will have view on cost but I reckon I reckon your up for 40k min on a rough car. even the good kits are shit.
Last edited by Shaunp on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah I know the project is going to be exxy, however like you said I am trying to weight up the best way financially to start it.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I know Woody got a some new bodies to make T/A cars he reckoned it worked out cheaper then evening buying a coupe to make a race car from. but then he just needed a shell, I guess. But the shell was pretty cheap.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

When I was thinking about an E-Car build (because of gbx78) I had thoughts of doing an E-car but a convertible. I would get a poor car with ok bones and go from their.
Last edited by boofhead on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Sorry if that s offends, but. You guys disgust me, how can you sit there and talk about an Eleanor build without even a snifter of a mention for the all mighty OZ. Kerry has dedicated his life to the Eleanor.
What he does not know about these beautiful vehicles is not worth knowing.
Come on guy's please involve Oz...?
66 basket case
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Oz is living the life at the moment. I am sure he will comment at some point.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

:popcorn: .......
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

66STNG wrote:Sorry if that s offends, but. You guys disgust me, how can you sit there and talk about an Eleanor build without even a snifter of a mention for the all mighty OZ. Kerry has dedicated his life to the Eleanor.
I mentioned him. Kerry loves em, as long as they are not grey like everyone elses. I personally would buy a new one, and forget the v8 I'd run bad ass Falcon Barra turbo, that way you dont need to change the front end to make it fit you can get new shell on the road with a modern engine. They get big numbers out those engines and they are reliable. It just doesn't sound like a V8.
Last edited by Shaunp on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

It's all fun and games until fibreglass bits start falling off your e-car.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

hybrid wrote:It's all fun and games until fibreglass bits start falling off your e-car.
At least it won't rust :rotfl2:
Last edited by Husky65 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Shaunp wrote:
66STNG wrote:Sorry if that s offends, but. You guys disgust me, how can you sit there and talk about an Eleanor build without even a snifter of a mention for the all mighty OZ. Kerry has dedicated his life to the Eleanor.
I mentioned him. Kerry loves em, as long as they are not grey like everyone elses. I personally would buy a new one, and forget the v8 I'd run bad ass Falcon Barra turbo, that way you dont need to change the front end to make it fit you can get new shell on the road with a modern engine. They get big numbers out those engines and they are reliable. It just doesn't sound like a V8.
I don't mind making the v8 fit. The local supercharged ones are making unbelievable numbers. With injectors/fuel pump, different pulley, exhaust and a tune they are making around the 600hp at the rear treads. Most are pulling around 420hp at the rears absolutely stock!