Installing an AOD in a 66

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Installing an AOD in a 66

Post by Edz66Vert »

I'm installing an AOD in my 66 Mustang and came across some instructions about clearance between the converter and flexplate that is a little confusing. (Lentech Transmissions) -

'It is recommended that a minimum 0.080", to a maximum 0.150" clearance exist between the convertor mounting pads and flywheel/convertor mating surface. (Measured with convertor fully
installed into transmission) FAILURES RESULTING FROM INSUFFICIENT RUNNING CLEARANCE WILL VOID WARRANTY!'

Is this the minimum freeplay of the converter away from the flexplate before you tighten the converter bolts?

And what do I do with the shifter, will it work with the standard 66 shifter for the time being, I know it only has 3 positions so I don't think it will select first? I'll replace it down the track when I save up. It is the standard little dot/big dot.

Any feedback on Gennie shifters, my mate has one and loves it and they are mechanical rather than the cheap cable type used by Lokar and B&N that play up (from my experience)? Just they are expensive!
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Installing an AOD in a 66

Post by Nuts »

Mate, I have done heaps of these installs. Welcome to contact me and chat or drop around, I'm in Theodore.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Welcome to the forum. Nuts will help you out. In addition, lots of guys here are running them.
So they will pop in at some point.

As far as the factory shift I have a friend who modified his stock selector for a 4 speed auto (BTR in his case) so it can be made to work.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

The AOD doesn't have 4 positions.
4th gear shifts automatically (hence the name).
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

hybrid wrote:The AOD doesn't have 4 positions.
4th gear shifts automatically (hence the name).
Does that mean if I pull the standard shifter back to first it will select 1st on the aod, and 2nd will switch into second? Leave it in drive should give normal auto operation?
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Nuts wrote:Mate, I have done heaps of these installs. Welcome to contact me and chat or drop around, I'm in Theodore.
Thanks for that Nuts, I'm just in Chisholm so I'll contact you if I have any questions.

Do you know if I can buy neoprene engine and gearbox mounts here somewhere or do I have to get them from Summit? The rubber ones are shagged. I'm ordering other bits from Summit already.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I'm also selling my 351W if anyone is interested as I'm replacing it with a 408. $2k without performer manifold and 600 carby, $2.5k with. Also have new alloy heads, 218/226 cam, double row timing chain, roller rockers etc for sale separately.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Edz66Vert wrote:I'm also selling my 351W if anyone is interested as I'm replacing it with a 408. $2k without performer manifold and 600 carby, $2.5k with. Also have new alloy heads, 218/226 cam, double row timing chain, roller rockers etc for sale separately.
We need to talk. My number is 0412440334

Cheers Darryl
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Hi,

You have to get the right flexplate or else the converter will be pushed into the pump on the transmission and possible damage it. I used this one: PIONEER PIFRA-205 Pioneer Heavy-Duty Flexplate 164 Tooth Suit Ford Windsor... That one is a 28oz balance. Before that plate I used one from an FMX on a Cleveland.

The standard shifter will work but you need to adjust the linkage. I have mine setup so I can drop out of OD by flicking the lever towards me without pressing the button.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

lukep6470 wrote:Hi,

You have to get the right flexplate or else the converter will be pushed into the pump on the transmission and possible damage it. I used this one: PIONEER PIFRA-205 Pioneer Heavy-Duty Flexplate 164 Tooth Suit Ford Windsor... That one is a 28oz balance. Before that plate I used one from an FMX on a Cleveland.

The standard shifter will work but you need to adjust the linkage. I have mine setup so I can drop out of OD by flicking the lever towards me without pressing the button.
Can I use the 351W 164 flexplate or will it be wrong? Has a C6 in it now.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I'm unsure. These guys should have all your answers:

http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/forum.php
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Anyone know how many splines on the B&M Street performance transmission, I've asked them twice and got no response? I'd like to get a TCE converter rather than have to go with the weaker B&M one.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

lukep6470 wrote:I'm unsure. These guys should have all your answers:

http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/forum.php
I was on that forum last night after I read on this site that they had a low opinion of B&M built AOD's but when I put B&M and AOD in the search nothing came up. I spent 3 hours reading all their AOD stuff anyway and couldn't find anything on the B&M?

I found this useful info on transmission sizes, showed me I should be able to use my stock tranny mount if it's correct so not sure why they sell modified ones, or are the figures wrong?

Transmission dimensions
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I'm running the B&M and have a ton of miles on it. It uses the stock input and output shaft.

I'm running a 2800rpm converter that is a stock one modified.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

BTW Mine is noisy in 1 & 2nd but doesn't seem to have bothered longevity.