Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

replacing ac

Post by 123abc »

I have a 70 hard top 351c factory air
would it be better to replace my fac ac with a kit such as old air, classic auto air any info on these would be great.like best kits and most important fitment.

I do have all my under dash stuff still there and most of the under bonnet stuff too but its all been off the car for years even before I got it so don't know how bad it is
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: replacing ac

Post by Nuts »

Modern AC systems are more efficient, take up less room and are relatively easy to install. However, you already have all the under dash items and that's the most expensive part. If the car is staying left hand drive, it's easy to refurbish your current heater box for around $100. If you replace all the vacuum hoses and check the operation of the vacuum motors, the unit should provide another 50 years of service. If you're going right hand drive, I'd suggest using a modern system such as Old Air as these are smaller and easier to modify.

Unlike, the 65-68's, the 69 and 70 dash can be completely removed giving great access to the complete AC system.

The under hood stuff is readily sourced and if you use a sanden type compressor, your cabin will be a cool as you want.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

if I have gotta remove it all, my heater is bad the aircon unit in the dash doesnt hold pressure most of my vacuum things under dash don't work so I think replace the lot . so any one used hurricane stuff or fitted a kit I would like to hear form you
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

I have the old air hurricane inside kit in my 65(using later model ford stuff for the engine bay side of it). Not much I can say except that the box is an easy install and just required the drilling of a drain hole underneath the box. The electronic controls are handy and the wiring harness is all assembled with only a few connections required.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

husky does it work well
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah mate it does. Actually I have one issue which is the heater valve which is controlled electronically won't open. I actually went under the dash today to make sure my wiring was fine which it is, so it may be a faulty tap?? Apart from that it works fine.
C5ZZHIPO
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by C5ZZHIPO »

We had a customer a few years back who had a 1970 Boss with the Hurricane system. The under dash unit was fantastic and blended in with the existing lower dash.

Cheers

Mark
Ex Capital Classics
A prophet will not be known in his own lifetime.
CobraJet
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by CobraJet »

I'm also at the same point with the under dash setup in my factory air 70.

My plan is to get a new heater core (brass type), foam and seal kit, factory repo heater hoses and replace the vacuum lines and devices. I'll also need a tap as I don't' have one and a set of ducts that go from the heater box to the side vents.

I' haven't taken any thing out yet but I'll get the motor rebuilt if it's faulty and test the A/C core and plug it until I get the coin for the drier and compressor (Sanden type). This might be after the car is on the road.

That way I'm not mucking about too much and it's all stuff I can do myself.

Can anyone see an issue with my plan or should I go down the path of 123abc and go totally aftermarket?
I'm here for Pinto Pete's avatars!
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

JUST A RECAP was talking to the agent for old air at the goldy today the difference between the electronic system and the integrated one is this the integrated one has a micro switch to turn on the comp for ac once you move the slide to any type of heat it shuts off the ac so it is not a blended system its either on full or off ac cool wise , the electronic upgrade is a blended type system that will work like a new type so you can blend hot air with de humidified ac air and adjust hot or cold with the ac running
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

cobra jet the system im looking at is 2300 for integrated and 2800 for a electronic upgrade for a full kit from comp to box, hoses drider everything you need to replace it except gas for a model specific mustang
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Some times the hoses are only crimped at one end mate so you can run the hoses where you want.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

yep I checked with the local air con place he said just run your lines and they will cut and crimp them off before gassing up
CobraJet
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by CobraJet »

123abc wrote:cobra jet the system im looking at is 2300 for integrated and 2800 for a electronic upgrade for a full kit from comp to box, hoses drider everything you need to replace it except gas for a model specific mustang
Cool (pun, geddit) thanks for that 123abc. As I've a factory air car I'll go down the rebuilt of the box route as it will cost me significantly less.

I'll give a US Mustang place a call tomorrow whilst the dollar is worth something.
I'm here for Pinto Pete's avatars!
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Check my project thread (project X) on this site. I rebuilt my old box with a new A/C evaporator and condenser that fit the original box, but have more rows of coils for improved cooling.
I am going to try it out the first week of August to see how cold it gets - supposed to be 98-100 F. Should be a good test on the system.
I got them from vintage air or classic auto air - I can't remember at the moment.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

I have ordered a vintage air gen iv sure fit unit if anyone has fitted one to a 70 any feedvback would be good