How to tell V8 spindles - need better discs & calipers

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

How to tell V8 spindles - need better discs & calipers

Post by Edz66Vert »

My car is an unknown, originally a 66 LHD Convertible, been here for 10 years. Now 351 / C6 /Auto. I have been told the front brakes are XF discs and VB Calipers. Can anyone tell if they are V8 stubs looking at them? The back is rusty and pitted, all I can see is Ford and an 8 very feint. They look the same as a pic I found of a US parts dealer selling V8 Shelby stub axles.

This is the pic of the Shelby V8 one I found

I want to fit Wilwood and CRS are selling a 320 mm kit for $1350 plus $200 for hoses, $55 post. The same kit at Summits is $1683 without the hoses. Hoppers want $1800 for their 330 mm kit with AU3 calipers and UPC will do one similar to Hoppers for $1095 plus post (which looks like the best value but the Willwood will look nicer and are 4 spot)

Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: How to tell V8 spindles - need better discs & calipers

Post by Nuts »

Ed, it's hard to tell from the pic and they are the same shape. The V8 ones are beefier. Check the part number on the other one. If your car is a C, A or K code, it should have V8 spindles from the factory. If it's a T code it will have the 6Cyl ones.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

The 66 shell I got had a modified falcon spindle on one side ?

Only reason I worked it out was from the casting number when they were stripped down. From memory I think the number was half way up the vertical arm (ie your 2nd pic) and I had to put paper and then rub pencil over the area to be able to read it.

Luckily I found a good set to replace them with.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

This is not my best area of knowledge.

The early cars drum/disk were the same stubs (68 on are different).
The falcon stubs push the width (track) out and have a higher upper arm mount point (3/8"). The falcon arms need falcon tie rod ends.
The XF calipers with the single piston are alloy and are very popular addition.
The early cars use kelsey hays calipers.
The falcon stub is thicker than the early mustangs.
Later disks use a large hub early do not.

So looking at your photos looks to me someone made up a (dodgy) caliper adapter to mount PBR (XF?) calipers to possibly an early stub axle. Hard to tell but that would be my guess. They just using the smaller bearings to fit the disk.
Should be fine as most disk conversion kits require/set-up for the early stub.
Check the part or casting marks as suggested above.
Last edited by boofhead on Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

I just had a look at the only one I have left and the casting number is C5DA 3107-B, this is just above the Ford logo and under the logo is what looks like USA 86. The number are quite faint.
Certainly Holden callipers though.
Did Hoppers Stoppers ever do a disc brake conversion for mustang? It look like their bracket.
Last edited by nassi on Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Yes your right Nassi - I was not thinking in that direction.

I am not keen on whats looks like a 1 inch spacer either.
Note: They are not legal.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

I can't answer your question, but I will say the cheaper wilwood kits use a .8" or 20mm thick rotor. That is really thin. While on the street it will be fine, if you do any spirited driving they will heat soak very quickly. A stock later model falcon rotor is 28mm for comparison.

I actually bought a UPC kit. The rotors(BA/BF falcon) were rubbish so I changed them straight up to DBA T3 rotors(298x28mm). The PBR calipers they sell are made for a VE commodore, and were used on the V8 models too(apart from the brembos in the redline range). I changed the supplied pads also to QFM HPX pads, and also had Pirtek make up some ADR approved braided lines. Althought I did a few other brake mods also, it brakes very well.
A big plus is the ability to replace discs/pads with local parts easily and cheaply.
One negative is that you need to drill out one of the holes on the stub for the caliper bracket as the bolt is a tad larger. If you could just order the calipers, brackets and hubs off UPC, get your own discs and braided lines, you would have a very good brake system component wise, however getting them performing well obviously takes into account other factors such as master cylinder bore size, rod length etc etc.
Last edited by Husky65 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Didn't realise how thin the Wilwoods were, 20.5 mm for the 310's and 24 mm for the 287's, very thin. It's a pity, I was looking forward to the looks of the Wilwood. ? Great info here as usual, nearly jumped in and bought the Wilwood set but hate warped discs and sounds like they would warp easily.

I got a price from UPC yesterday for $1095 but I've asked them if they can just sell me the hubs. Hoppers wouldn't. Husky65, I like the idea of getting just the hubs if possible and not wasting money on the rest of their gear if it's not good quality.

Is there someone who sells hubs that anyone knows of?

Then I can buy the good quality DBA rotors that are slotted and drilled. The 28 mm thick BA are 298, BF turbo/V8 and Territory are 322. DBA do list a 355 but they are 32 mm thick. Then I'd go with the BA or VT calipers I already have which both suit 28 mm rotors. The VE ones are 30 (V6) or 32 (V8) so not really designed for a 28 mm disc.

That's a good trick with the pencil and paper, I'll try that tomorrow and see what numbers are on them.

Boofhead, the spacer is about 8-10 mm (the rotor is 24 mm thick in the shot) but I can't even see why they did it.

The last adaptor plates I made were 8 and 10 mm steel. I have a mate that can waterjet up to 200 mm so getting adaptor plates cut is easy, just need hubs to start everything off. I have a lathe at work but don't know if I could be bothered machining up a pair. Maybe we should look at getting some hubs machined on a cnc, surely someone here or in China could knock them up and we could sell them to forum members with brackets to suit ford discs and calipers?

Calipers have PBR (and 3/78) on them and Holden on the bracket, brake place said VB which sounds right.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yes they do sell the hubs on their own. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Mustang ... 4889332919

Yeah if you can make your own caliper bracket you are laughing. I wanted to go the 322mm discs but had already bought the brackets to suit the 298. Might change it when I need to change my discs in the future.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I've got the UPC kit on mine. I haven't changed anything and it's fine.
Don't forget about wheel clearance for any of these kits.
Last edited by hybrid on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Saw this the other day on gumtree also, not a bad deal

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/morning ... 1135211488
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Husky65 wrote:Saw this the other day on gumtree also, not a bad deal

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/morning ... 1135211488
Bargain. :like:
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Husky - I liked your set up when I saw it. The issue is UPC they just do not show on the web site what is available so I had no idea what they do and what is an option. Good link to the hubs - great that you have helped them and us.
Last edited by boofhead on Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Great spotting Husky65, I've been searching ebay a lot and didn't come across those. Found these Aluminium Ford Hubs Just worried about an unknown seller's product in aluminium, hate to have them fail.

The Gumtree ones look like an option, but then I'd have to change stub axles.

I'll order those hubs from UPC, saves trying to get someone to make them. Just have to double check what I have first.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Probably need to confirm what spindles you actually have on the car first.