Fan controller

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Fan controller

Post by Husky65 »

Due to not being able to adjust the high and low speed on and off temps with my ecu, I have been on the lookout for a fan controller that fit my needs. Not that I really need it, but I am not completely happy with my fan on temps.
I found this the other week browsing around, and it looked pretty good so I bought it. About 70 bucks shipped here. I thought I'd just put it up here if anyone is looking for a simple solution in the future, as most of the ones I've found are not only expensive but have the sender/relays as part of the kit, which I didn't want. I just wanted a controller. I didn't want to pay stupid money for some relays, a bit of wiring and a sender that only has a set on/off temp.

What I like about it is it works off any resistance based sender. You wire it up to any resistive based temp sensor, and then you can adjust the fan on temp with the box. It also had adjustable hysteresis, which means you can adjust the off temps also based on the resistance of that sender.
It has two inputs and outputs, so you can have two different on and off temps, and control either dual fans independently or dual fans with dual speeds. You can also used one of the inputs to trigger a warning light/buzzer if you wish and use the other for the fan(s).
It has built in 30amp relays, however I am just going to use these to trigger the relays I already have setup, as they are much easier to replace. In my opinion I would use a normal 40amp or so relay for the fans and have this trigger it. If you have dual fans you can easily setup dual speeds with this controller and a few relays. I have a good schematic for that if anyone wants.

It can also be put in run on mode so your fans runs while the car is off until it gets to the off temp.

Here are some pics as I just received it today. It's very small and seems well assembled. I will install it in a few days and get some more info for you all.

I mean you can really use it for anything that has a resistive based output.

here's a link to their site, instructions are their if you are interested
https://www.spiyda.com/magento/index.ph ... oller.html
Last edited by Husky65 on Tue May 09, 2017 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Fan controller

Post by Dwayne »

Thanks

Can you put up the schematic ... for when I eventually get to that stage.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

This is for using two fans that only have pos/neg, like most thermo fans or the ford AU fans that I have
One norma relay and two change over relays. Runs in series with the low speed signal, then when the high speed signal comes in the two change over relays switch and each fan is run independently.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Cheers, I'm using the EL setup, so likely the same as your AU fans.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah el fans should be the same.
If I had to do my time again though I would go the BF single fan setup. Covers a larger area than the two smaller ones, less power draw and less wiring to boot.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

I purchased a Dakota digital PC-2750 fan controller. Close to $160 delivered. Stuck with it. Haven't installed it yet though. It has the same functions as the Spiyda unit. Will power two fans independently or one fan high and one low speed all from the stock temp sender in addition it has a AC input. Plus it has an ignition off delay up to 5 minutes. I plan to install it when I do my engine swap. Currently, I'm using a Jaycar turbo timer kit to delay the fans and separate senders to control them. There's always something cheaper somewhere!! Keep us posted how the Spiyda performs.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah Nuts the DD PC-2750 is a nice piece and is what I would have bought if I didn't see this. The AC input isn't a big deal as I'll just use it to trigger the relays instead of the controller.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Could probably make one of those with $10 worth of bits from Jaycar.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yes, I'm sure you could. Me on the other hand, taking into account what I think my time is worth and the fact I don't know what I'm doing at the best of times.....well 70 bucks is a fantastic deal :spoton:
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

This is the bloke oz uses as a controller,... must go alright don't think he has much of a problem with his fan....

I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Pinto-Pete wrote:This is the bloke oz uses as a controller,... must go alright don't think he has much of a problem with his fan....

Correct Pete, thanks for the tip you gave me a few years ago. Most of you will note it is only good for one fan and that is usually in your mind (as Pete's is) ...... :snigger:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet