Pistons

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Pistons

Post by steve851 »

So, its time to turn my attention to my Engine Its stripped and more or less ready for a visit to the machine shop. I'm considering buying a rotating assembly rebuild kit from summit racing, The kit I'm looking at has sealed power hypereutectic pistons. When I mentioned this to the machine shop guy he warned me off sealed power products as they are now cast in India and the quality is not so good. I have also read, via reviews they are a reasonable choice of piston. I would like to know if anyone has any views on sealed power piston and if they are happy with them

Cheers
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Pistons

Post by trav68 »

What machine shop you using? Performance Mods are my recommendation but sounds like you have committed already.

Given you are looking at cast I presume this is not a hipo build and in all reality they will be fine. If you want decent compression you will have to up the budget a bit from the entry level offerings.

Precisiom International are also well priced and Balcatta Performance do a weekly US order too and are quite cost effective.
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

EMS in Midvale Trav, I'm not looking at big horse power here, more a mild improvement on the stock 230hp I have a set of Tri Y's an edelbrock performer manifold and a 600 cfm holley. I also want to put a mild cam in too. So rather than using normal cast pistons, I thought using hypereutectic cast piston would be an improvement on the standard set up
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good to see you posting trav.

You have 3 general levels; cast, hypers, forged. Each is better than the previous.

For the type of build you doing they are likely to be fine.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Sorry I didnt read carefully. Not sure about EMS havent heard any good or bad reports but I trust Danny @ PM.

Boof - I am alive just renovating an old 1930s house. Put my chippy hat on and re did kitchen a bit, painted all internals HVLP for trimwork, rewired with my sparky mate with flash new clipsal gear etc.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Sounds like so much fun Trav. :thumbs:
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

trav68 wrote: Boof - I am alive just renovating an old 1930s house. Put my chippy hat on and re did kitchen a bit, painted all internals HVLP for trimwork, rewired with my sparky mate with flash new clipsal gear etc.
Not in the other projects section :impatient:

Have fun with it. Big job but satisfying I am sure.
Last edited by boofhead on Tue May 23, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

boofhead wrote:
trav68 wrote: Boof - I am alive just renovating an old 1930s house. Put my chippy hat on and re did kitchen a bit, painted all internals HVLP for trimwork, rewired with my sparky mate with flash new clipsal gear etc.
Not in the project section :impatient:

Have fun with it. Big job but satisfying I am sure.
I would agree with that. Yes should be in "other projects" as many of us doing the same thing ..... :thumbs:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

ozbilt wrote: I would agree with that. Yes should be in "other projects" as many of us doing the same thing ..... :thumbs:
And then some of us SHOULD be working on our house, but work on the car instead ?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Dwayne wrote:
ozbilt wrote: I would agree with that. Yes should be in "other projects" as many of us doing the same thing ..... :thumbs:
And then some of us SHOULD be working on our house, but work on the car instead ?
Let that be our little secret ....... 8)
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet