Nuts Goes SImple EFI

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Nuts Goes SImple EFI

Post by Nuts »

I want Electronic Fuel Injection on Blue. I want it so I can turn the key and it will start no matter how long it's been since last started and no matter what the temperature is. I Thought about doing a stock EECV 5.0 install but it just looks ugly.

Been following the Micro/Megasquirt discussion/s for some time now and initially thought it was the way to go but.... It's all too technical and requires a lot of fiddling. I over fiddling and i'm over learning a whole new way of doing things. I've just purchased my first smartarse phone not by choice but out of shear necessity, I don't understand it and it doesn't understand me. It just does things all by itself. Still doesn't make tea though. Maybe the next model will.

I just want simple.

I've been looking at the Fast EFI systems for a couple of years now and almost pulled the pin on a FAST System last year while in the States but the handbrake said no.. Never give up Nuts....

Now there are so many different systems out there, with many different options and abilities. I think it was Ausjacko who mentioned the word "Fitech" and that got me thinking....And after much research.....How can I do this without the handbrake knowing???? Anyway when the Aussie $ hit 80c I lept on board and ordered a Fitech EFI System from Summit Racing.

The system I purchased is:

Fitech Go EFI 4 600HP 30002 and I also purchased their Fuel Command Center 40003. It's in the air now as I write this.

I have some serious upgrades to do to Blue including a 3.5:1 LSD and a 347 rebuild. These were supposed to happen over winter. Guess what happens?? Half of Canberra want their mustangs fixed over winter and there's Pete's Falcoon to do. Hopefully in spring i'll get it done.

Regardless, I plan to install the EFI before any of the other upgrades to make sure

everything is AOK. Just need a break here and there.. Will keep you posted.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Nuts Goes SImple EFI

Post by Dwayne »

Looking forward to this thread.

I'm a fan of these systems because they match my (limited) abilities. The poor after-sale customer service with fiTech worries me though.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I'm looking forward to be being bored shitless with the lack of effort required to install this :mrgreen: :poke:
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

So back to serious for a minute.

These units rely heavily on the O2 sensor to tune the car as you drive it, which is why they are "universal".

Anyone know what happens when the O2 sensor dies? Does it keep the tune stored and fall back to that rather than using the sensor?
Does it eventually stop tuning via the sensor once it's happy with the tune?

Most Megasquirters use auto tune to get a lot of the general driving areas set up right. But very few rely on it for WOT areas and prefer to log and adjust manually.
Last edited by hybrid on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I know some of them store their tune but I don't know about the fitech. You would hope so.
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Nuts,
Always fiddling with blue, one day you will get it just sweet, and then another build will spring out of nowhere....keep up the good work.
Cheers,
Ash
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Christmas Time!!! :joy:

Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

How big is the fuel centre? Just wondering where you would be able to fit it in the engine bay.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I know a bloke in the US who swears by the Fitech he had one on a 347 which worked super well, but he ditched the control center pretty quick, personally I wouldn't have gone with the control center mostly because its kind of ugly, its a simple solution but really you just need a pump, reg swirl pot or sump on the tank. Anyway he was more than happy with it till he went to a turbo, and it couldn't really fuel it, and ultimately he went to MS3, and a big throttle body.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Sure looks good. Wheres the pop corn?
I will someday think of something clever to say.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Did you have to pay duty on it? I'd be buying one too but having being burnt by DHL before with duty and GST I'm a bit careful now.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Yes GSt and Stamp Duty, plus xtras around $400. All up $2500 delivered. Just don't tell the Handbrake..

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

hybrid wrote:So back to serious for a minute.

Anyone know what happens when the O2 sensor dies? Does it keep the tune stored and fall back to that rather than using the sensor?
Does it eventually stop tuning via the sensor once it's happy with the tune?
I sent an email to Fitech after reading your query and they replied in a day or so as follows;

"if the O2 sensor goes bad, one you'll get a fault code in the programmer. And it just reverts to an open loop map. It may not run great but it should run."

A good and prompt response.

I interpret this as saying the system does not 'store' the last 'closed loop' map. It must use the baseline 'open loop- get me going' map and once warm slip into 'closed loop mode that it uses to self tune to the desired (as set by the controller) parameters.

I don't think it ever stops tuning during the run as it will adjust to the conditions being encountered; be that altitude, temp, biorhythms or solar flares. Does this make sense Megasquirters?
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Ausjacko wrote: I don't think it ever stops tuning during the run as it will adjust to the conditions being encountered; be that altitude, temp, biorhythms or solar flares. Does this make sense Megasquirters?
Yes - I know from the MSD version it continues to tune. Really is totally dependent on the o2 sensor. I assume the FiTech uses a 12v keep alive power source for volatile memory.

The MS saves the tune in flash memory. ego makes small changes on the fly.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

yes Boof, there is a constant 12v to save oldtimers
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'