Water injection

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Water injection

Post by hybrid »

I had convinced myself that I could fit a custom water/air intercooler in my car. I drew one up in a free CAD software.

The yellow part was to be the cooler core.
However when I got home and popped the bonnet, reality set in. On top of that, I would have had to find a place to mount the heat exchanger/radiator that was in the vehicles moving airflow.

So that idea got binned. While I have always been against performance enhancers that require maintenance - such as Nitrous and now water injection, it's either I perform major mods for intercooling, or I go with injection.

This is more for looking after the engine than performance, although often they go hand in hand. I just wasn't comfortable seeing 65 degree intake temps on boost.

So anyway, after looking at water injection kits and seeing them at $500+, I figured (because I can't help myself) I could build one cheaper, and there's PLENTY of info around.

This thread will document my progress, and I will write up a tech shop article when I'm done.
Last edited by hybrid on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Water injection

Post by hybrid »

First thing was to get hold of some parts.
Most important part is the pump. Many sites (US based) talk about the SHURflo pumps like this one:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 081_357081
Australian sources for that pump seem to be around $250

The important part for the pump is that it's components can handle some alcohol (if you want to do water/alcohol mix).
Look for Viton valves and Santoprene diaphragm.

I found this Seaflo pump (Part# SFDP1-015-080-31) for $90 on ebay.
And f me if it doesn't look identical except for colour. Coincidence?

I should note that if you're not boosting, you don't need a pump with this kind of pressure (although you need a bit of pressure to atomise the fluid).

The next important part is the spray nozzles. You can buy nozzles from the kit sellers for $60 each.
Or you can get nozzles from McMaster Carr in the US for US$9 each. I bought two of part #3178K77 because I wasn't sure how much I would need to inject. I don't know the postage cost yet either, but it's safe to say that these two nozzles will be much less than $60.
The snow performance ($60) nozzles look like this:

The McMaster Carr nozzles look like this:

These are a full cone shape nozzle.

We need a method to activate the pump. I could do it via the Megasquirt, but aside from not knowing if I have any outputs left to use, I did not want to do more wiring from engine bay to the ECU in the car, so I decided to use a hobbs switch. The one I'm using is honeywell part #76056.
It's adjustable from 1.1psi to 3psi. It's set to 2psi out of the box, so I will leave it at that to start with. So I should get some spray pretty much when it comes on boost.
This switch cost me $50 on ebay, but you should be able to get them from somewhere like RS Components also.

For safety, I'm also going to hook up a solenoid to power on with the pump. This will stop any fluid siphoning into the engine when the pump is off and potentially causing a hydro lock. This is a $20 12v 1/8" NPT ebay solenoid.

So far, the running total is:

Pump: $90
Switch: $50
Nozzle: $25 (estimated)
Solenoid: $20

$185

That is most of the big costs done. All that's left is some brass fittings and hose to make it all work.

You can use your existing washer bottle to feed this install as well. Just add a new fitting to connect the pump to the washer bottle.
I will probably make a custom bottle because mine still has the original bag in it.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah nice, I like the idea of using the hobbs switch. Set it and forget it.

I still think you didn't try hard enough to fit an intercooler
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

very cool - i tried to get gbx to do this...
I will someday think of something clever to say.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

boofhead wrote:very cool - i tried to get gbx to do this...
I just said that to hybrid earlier hehe.. those ports in my intake are dying to be meth injected so i will be closely following this thread... now that ive respositioned the SC..intercooler is more accessible but still a pain.

I was keen to see hybrid make his intercooler.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Update: McMaster-Carr have cancelled my order because they only allow international purchases for "established" customers.

I've asked them how I can possibly ever become "established" when I can't even make my first order with them.
So I might have to look elsewhere now. There's plenty of agricultural spray nozzle mobs out here, but they are mostly aimed at crop spraying.

Problem is, we need more of an atomiser than just a sprayer. I want to try to get this built by the end of the month for the track, so time is of the essence.
Anyone on here happen to be in a field that uses atomising?
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

This is an Aus based company....pretty sure a mate has used them before. No idea on cost though.

http://www.spray.com.au/spray_nozzles/s ... zzles.aspx
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I did find them earlier today when I was searching. They seem more aimed at industry rather than a once off for one or two nozzles.
Edit: I've resubmitted my order using a comgateway (mail forwarding company). Lets see if it goes through this time.
Last edited by hybrid on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

hybrid wrote:Update: McMaster-Carr have cancelled my order because they only allow international purchases for "established" customers.

I've asked them how I can possibly ever become "established" when I can't even make my first order with them.
So I might have to look elsewhere now. There's plenty of agricultural spray nozzle mobs out here, but they are mostly aimed at crop spraying.

Problem is, we need more of an atomiser than just a sprayer. I want to try to get this built by the end of the month for the track, so time is of the essence.
Anyone on here happen to be in a field that uses atomising?
Look at the atomiser, you would probably turn one up faster that locating one.
Last edited by nassi on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

in the rocket engine world there are lots of ideas for spray patterns.
In your case an impinging injector would be easiest to make.
You have two streams that intersect
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

The new order has not been cancelled (last one happened within an hour), so I think this time it's OK.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Can your Air Temp Sensor handle getting fuel wet?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I don't see it being a problem.
However the IAC will be well out of the way of the direct stream.
It's in the front of my carb hat. I might run 100% water anyway.. not sure yet.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

My pump, hobbs switch and some of the push-fit fittings arrived while I was away.
I have moved my radiator overflow bottle to the opposite side, and also moved my catch can back towards the shock tower.
This has given me a bit more room for a water reservoir of some kind. I will mount the pump below it on the same side.

My uncle is also giving me an edelbrock water injection system that he used to have on his car, but I think it's designed for low pressure intake, and I'm not keen on injecting water before the supercharger due to potential impeller wear. I will see what it's capable of.

The benefit of it is that it connects to manifold pressure and RPM so it can change the amounts injected based on that.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

So what pressure are you thinking of running the fluid line at? 1 bar or more?
Is it going to be boost regulated? (assuming no from parts listed).
How about a bottle empty warning light?
Last edited by boofhead on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.