Lowering seats

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Lowering seats

Post by 66STNG »

Hi guys, need some tech advice.
I bought my new seats, they are electric and cannot be lowered due to the way they are built, I want the electrics to work anyway.
Do I cut down the original risers, or use something like 20x50 mm RHS to build a frame that fits the new seat securing points than fully weld the frames to the floor rockers and tunnel to keep the integrity..
Picture of seats . 2017 Mustang ???
66 basket case
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Lowering seats

Post by hybrid »

Most people lower the risers.
But since you aren't using original (older) mustang seats, might be easier to make completely new mounts.

Wait for Kerry to respond :mrgreen:
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Use 69 risers
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

If the seat belts plugs stay part of the seats, will they need engineering?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Talk to your engineer first. Whoever is signing off on your car will have to be happy with how you fit the seats.

I assume you have had someone go over the changes to the car by now, as they usually want to inspect the welds etc before paint.

The 69 - 70 fastback risers will still be too high. 69 - 70 hardtop and convertible risers are same height as what you have.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Dwayne wrote:If the seat belts plugs stay part of the seats, will they need engineering?
Not allowed. Must use the factory Mustang mount positions according to all the engineers I have had dealings with. It is because of how the seat mounts (not crash tested) and they like the idea of the belts being independent of the seat in the event of an accident as it will help hold all in place (easier to locate the body :lol: )
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

ozbilt wrote: they like the idea of the belts being independent of the seat in the event of an accident as it will help hold all in place (easier to locate the body :lol: )
Just like flying then.
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

ozbilt wrote:
Dwayne wrote:If the seat belts plugs stay part of the seats, will they need engineering?
Not allowed. Must use the factory Mustang mount positions according to all the engineers I have had dealings with. It is because of how the seat mounts (not crash tested) and they like the idea of the belts being independent of the seat in the event of an accident as it will help hold all in place (easier to locate the body :lol: )
Seat belt mounts will stay the same, there just still thee because I just bought them. Was never going to use those belts
66 basket case
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

ozbilt wrote:Talk to your engineer first. Whoever is signing off on your car will have to be happy with how you fit the seats.

I assume you have had someone go over the changes to the car by now, as they usually want to inspect the welds etc before paint.

The 69 - 70 fastback risers will still be too high. 69 - 70 hardtop and convertible risers are same height as what you have.
Are 69 hardtop risers lower than fastback ones..?
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

Pinto-Pete wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Talk to your engineer first. Whoever is signing off on your car will have to be happy with how you fit the seats.

Are 69 hardtop risers lower than fastback ones..?
No, Pete the fastback ones are lower. I had to replace one of my seat risers in the coupe. Did a lovely job welding it in then looked at the other side and noticed the fastback one I'd just welded in was about 40mm lower than the original.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Ta Shaun.... bit of a doh moment....
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

You going to run the centre console as well?
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

That's a lot of effort just so you can use the electrics. Don't get me wrong, I loved doing things for the sake of it, but to use the electrics you'll have to use a flat floor. Once you adjust your seats it's not like you will do it again every time you jump in anyway.
It will be easy peasy to just remove the electrics and adapt the stock 65 rails to the bottom of them, although I can see you having to 'adjust' the plastic switch housings on the outsides of the seats as they will most likely sit too low.
Last edited by Husky65 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Yeah I tend to agree Husky, I used 300zx electric seats and took the electrics off for the same reasons you state. Never move the seat and when I do it is super quick. I understand electric seats are cool though so I get it
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Nobody else drives my car, so the seat doesn't move.