Surface Rust and Foam

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Equus
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Surface Rust and Foam

Post by Equus »

HI,
attached are photos of the underside on my rear quarters and tailight panel where the car has obviously had repairs in the past. as you can see there is surface rust at the site of the repairs.

My thoughts were to clean up the area best i could with a wire wheel. Give it a few coats of Xtroll, Seam seal the joins then a coat of paint. Either the external silver or a slightly thicker underbody coating.

what are peoples thoughts?

As well you can see that the previous owner has filled the guards with foam and actual house insulation (pink BAtt material) panel resonance reduction. Is this safe to leave or do i attempt to remove it?

Kerry i beleve you had a look at this car when you transported it through Cali for me.

Thanks

Rob
Taillight
Rear Quarters
Trunk floor pin hole of rust
In the middle of the journey!
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Surface Rust and Foam

Post by ozbilt »

A good coat of Xtroll (after wire brushing the loose stuff off) followed by primer (when Xtroll is dry) & paint would be a good start.

As for the foam, if it is not in an area that will trap moisture, may as well leave it there. The pink bat insulation material, if that comes out easily, then do so.

I would shoot some proof coat on the repaired areas after the Xtroll dries if you want that look, then paint over that.

Just make sure the Xtroll penetrates those overlapped welded areas as that rust could be trouble down the track if not encapsulated.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

What's the go with the space filler foam... is there any risk that it can just trap moisture and in fact create a problem where there wouldn't have been one otherwise?
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Any body foams, insulation that can hold moisture & dirt is bad news for metal. It is not our friend. In the cabin area it is unavoidable in a road car, that is one reason it is critical to have a well sealed car.
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

soc123_au wrote:Any body foams, insulation that can hold moisture & dirt is bad news for metal. It is not our friend. In the cabin area it is unavoidable in a road car, that is one reason it is critical to have a well sealed car.
So don't go filling the rockers up with the space filler then... Okey dokey
Fifty Years Afloat

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

mikes68 wrote:
soc123_au wrote:Any body foams, insulation that can hold moisture & dirt is bad news for metal. It is not our friend. In the cabin area it is unavoidable in a road car, that is one reason it is critical to have a well sealed car.
Unless you intend to drive into a river 8O
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

scott66stang wrote:
mikes68 wrote:
Unless you intend to drive into a river 8O

:moon:
Fifty Years Afloat

Equus
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Equus »

Thanks for the replies..

I take it the consensus is to remove the foam. or ensure that the car is never washed or is well sealed( is that possible in a mustang)

Rob
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Yes loose the foam.

Sealing up any old car to the same standard as a modern car can be a bit of a challenge. All weatherstripping needs to be in the correct place & in good condition.

Make sure all holes in the body are fitted with rubber grommets (except drain holes that are supposed to be open)

Make sure drain holes that are meant to be open are not blocked either by being gummed up with crap or having anything around that will stop water being directed to them.

All opening & closing panels need to be aligned properly to achieve a good seal against the weatherstrips.

All opening windows need to be well sealed & functioning correctly with good regulators & rollers. Luckily in your case its a Fastback, no wind up qtr glasses. :bash:

An ounce of luck doesnt hurt either.
Equus

Post by Equus »

soc123_au wrote:Yes loose the foam.

Sealing up any old car to the same standard as a modern car can be a bit of a challenge. All weatherstripping needs to be in the correct place & in good condition.

Make sure all holes in the body are fitted with rubber grommets (except drain holes that are supposed to be open)

Make sure drain holes that are meant to be open are not blocked either by being gummed up with crap or having anything around that will stop water being directed to them.

All opening & closing panels need to be aligned properly to achieve a good seal against the weatherstrips.

All opening windows need to be well sealed & functioning correctly with good regulators & rollers. Luckily in your case its a Fastback, no wind up qtr glasses. :bash:

An ounce of luck doesnt hurt either.
Hey,
where do you buy this luck product !:)
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Equus wrote:Hey,
I have it here in 1 liter bottles. Looks like plain air, but once you open it, luck happens.

Issue I am having with the supplier is that they did not lable them good or bad luck, so it is buyer beware. Anyway, if you need some let me know & I will send a few bottles over (just in case you first open the wrong type).
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

ozbilt wrote:
Equus wrote:Hey,
I have it here in 1 liter bottles. Looks like plain air, but once you open it, luck happens.

Issue I am having with the supplier is that they did not lable them good or bad luck, so it is buyer beware. Anyway, if you need some let me know & I will send a few bottles over (just in case you first open the wrong type).
And watch out for that old stock stuff "Shitz Hapins" got a crate off it i dont want , free to anyone that has a boring life.
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

scott thought i had used all mine up.......but as luck would have it nope, found some more pallets of the stuff :-(
Cheers,
j
Equus
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Equus »

Scott,
i think i opened a can of "Shitz Hapins" by accident friday night while i was crouched in the rear wheel well of my car and consequently damaged my Achilles tendon . It has now been a week where i can barely walk!!!

Kerry send over 2 cans of good luck please!!!

Rob
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Rob
you have to watch the Achiles, My old man did his at Easter, playing soccer with my kids, still only just getting over it. He is 70, but he is fit as, still can put a roof on a house or drop the gear box out of 4x4. He spent 8 weeks in snow boot. He still can't push the clutch in on his 4x4. Go get it seen to.