C4 automatic - replace with AOD or 5 speed manual

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

C4 automatic - replace with AOD or 5 speed manual

Post by rkmiller73 »

OK so in my white 67 fastback I am still running with the original C4 automatic transmission. I have pulled it three times for seals and had it rebuilt twice. I have also replaced the shifter seal, etc a few times over the last 28 years or so. The last time I had it pulled and rebuilt with a modified shift kit and torque converter back in 2012. It shifts nice and runs good, but leaks a lot.

So, I am about done with it. Should I:

1. pull the transmission and have it gone through on seals again

2. Replace with an AOD

3. put in a 5 speed manual with the hydraulic clutch like I did on my last project.

I cannot decide and I really hate doing things over again, and again. I am thinking it would be nice to drive down the highway at 2K RPM vs 3300. Not that I do a lot of highway driving.
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: C4 automatic - replace with AOD or 5 speed manual

Post by Nuts »

Both options will cost you the same. I've done many AOD swaps and they are an excellent gearbox. The only downside is that 4th is a overdrive and is clunky. An AODE would fix that. Use one of the Bauman controllers and they are as smooth as silk.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I actually think if you had a non locking converter, 4th gear would be much nicer - I'm about to find out about this one.
Yes you will lose a little fuel economy, but you will have the benefit of the converters talk multiplication in every gear.

Hopefully I'm tweaking my valve body and putting a new converter in my AOD this weekend and we'll see if my suspicions are confirmed.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Put TKO or T56 in it, T56 though its a 6 speed it fits the tunnel better due the shape of the top of the box
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

I put a TKO 600 with the trimmed top from Modern Driveline with their hydraulic clutch in my other car and so far - 20 miles - it is smooth and runs well. I am going to get the A/C charged up later this week and run it some next week.

Depending on how it goes I may consider swapping out for a manual TKO or T56.

What do you think about resale - a friend of mine says that most people like the automatic - older because of easier driving and younger because they don't know how to use a standard.

I am not planning on selling, but you always have to think about exit strategies as a consideration.
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

It will make little difference to resale compared to enjoyment while you own it. Do what will make you happy .......
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Kerry, you are right as usual! :bash:

I think the power brake pedal for auto and manual are the same except for the foot pad width part right?
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

rkmiller73 wrote:Kerry, you are right as usual! :bash:

I think the power brake pedal for auto and manual are the same except for the foot pad width part right?
Correct, they cut down easily to suit the new rubber pad and surround. :thumbs:
Kerry

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Kerry - that is what I thought, the car is a factory disc brake automatic and after my last project all I have left is one PB automatic brake pedal. I see they make reproduction PB brake pedals now too.

I am interested in seeing how Hybrid's modifications go.

I have been looking up AOD, AODE and 4R70W - trying to research and find out the difference. Seems like the 4R70W has a computer and is for higher horsepower engines - 800HP.

I like driving a standard and it seems more power gets to the rear wheels than on the C4, and hopefully less leaking.

On another note: call me crazy, but I have always wanted to put new full rear quarters on that car and a one piece floor pan. When I did the car back in 1990 you had to do patch panels. The paint is still in good shape so I don't know if I can get myself talked up enough to dig into it after all the work dad and I did on it years ago.

It was going to be my first car, but with a limited budget and it ended up being so rusty it took about 6 years to actually get it on the road so I really never drove it a lot as by that time I was driving the old 1962 chevy pickup from the farm.
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

You could always keep the C4 and go gear vendors.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Cage,

I have thought about that. If the C4 didn't leak so badly.

I am leaning more toward an AODE. I have plenty of time to think it over. With the last project hopefully wrapping up, I need to lay low with the wife for a bit and allow the secret pocket book stash build up some. ?
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Hehe, know what you mean.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

If you're OK with the electronics, AODE is a good choice.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

rkmiller73 wrote:
On another note: call me crazy, but I have always wanted to put new full rear quarters on that car and a one piece floor pan. When I did the car back in 1990 you had to do patch panels. The paint is still in good shape so I don't know if I can get myself talked up enough to dig into it after all the work dad and I did on it years ago.

It was going to be my first car, but with a limited budget and it ended up being so rusty it took about 6 years to actually get it on the road so I really never drove it a lot as by that time I was driving the old 1962 chevy pickup from the farm.
I would leave it and drive it. How the car looks is part of it's history, especially if the paint is good.

I built Mrsozbilt's Mach back in 92 but it needs a paint job as the clear came off (a common issue back then). It is getting an outside repaint only, not even the door openings are being touched, so whatever was done then, will remain.
Kerry

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Hybrid: On the AODE - does it shift a lot better or is it worth doing over an AOD? What is the deal with the 4R70W and a "lock up" to get the 5th gear? I have been perusing the internet but have not seen a good explanation yet.

Kerry: Now that I have the burgundy car about finished the way I always wanted the white one done my OCD is kicking in a little. I am going to give a few months. My problem is once I start taking things off to fix them, next thing I know I can't help myself. :help:
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.