No emergency flashers

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

No emergency flashers

Post by rkmiller73 »

Hey, I am still working out a few bugs - right now I cannot get the emergency flashers to work and the leftt dash turn signal indicator. The left turn signals work on the front, rear and on the hood.

I think pulling and replacing the steering column switch should fix the flashers, if it doesn't affect the left turn signal indicator on the dash, may have to pull the dash and check the bulb next.

Does that sound like the right path?

Also not getting the headlight switch to dim the dash lights - new headlamp switch?

Headlamp switch and turn signal switch are new repros - but I have had bad repros before.
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: No emergency flashers

Post by Nuts »

Ryan, it may not be the switch. Check the basics. Is the flasher can ok remember there is one for the indicators and one for the E indicators circuit. Swap the cans over and see what happens. The cans are located behind the instrument panel. Did you upgrade the instrument lights with Leds? If so, they don't dim.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Nuts,

I upgraded the LED's from Mustang Project like I did with my white car and those dash lights dim with the switch.

I will call Mustang Project today and find out more. The last car I put in a NOS light switch and now they are a lot more expensive/harder to find.

I forgot there being a second flasher can on 67 Mustangs - I will need to pull the dash to check the left turn signal indicator anyway. I bet I need another LED compatible flasher relay from Mustang Project.

I put the dash stuff together at different installments as I had time to drive down to my dads over a year ago and should have tested it more before I buttoned everything up.

Also noticed the light on the radio doesn't work, so will be pulling it out one more time too!

I knew better, but making any progress while I had the time looked better than leaving it all hanging out.
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

I recently purchased a set of leds that supposedly dim but the dim by going out when power is disconnected. I buy my led flasher cans from my local electronics store.

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

OK,

So I don't have the emergency flasher set up. Would that also affect the left turn signal indicator on the dash panel?

By looking at the wiring diagram, it appears they may be in the same loom, but I don't think they are directly connected.

On the radio dial light, I took the bulb out and tested it - it works just not in the radio.

I am in the process of pulling out the radio to test the plug.

The last dash harness I put in the white fastback in 2011 went great with no problems. My LED dash lights even dim.

I called Mustang Project and they said you are lucky to get a set of LED dash lights that will dim.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

So the dash is out and the left turn signal socket fell off the cluster housing. The new cluster harness sockets are cheap and fall out easily.

The emergency flasher - none, I forget to put one in.

Radio dial light - still not working

Harness side - radio side plug
Blue with red stripe- Red with blue stripe to dial light
Blue with red stripe-

Yellow with black stripe - Yellow with black stripe going to radio

I cannot find any wiring diagrams in the Ford manual with the light power.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Blue w red same as instr lights. Put a dolop of adhesive on the holder to keep it there. Also you may need a separate earth for that socket.

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Nuts,

I put a test light in that plug hole with the two blue with red stripe wires going to it and turned on the headlights - nothing. I tested the ground I was using for the test light on a courtesy light that I took the bulb out of and it worked. I don't think the 2 blue/red stripe wires are getting electricity.

I have the old harness out of the white car and the rotted old harness out of the burgundy car, may have to unwrap one to see where the wires connect.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Should be a few blue/red connectors under the dash. Wiring diag on page 19-43 of wksp manual.

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

If I had done your wiring that would explain everything you are experiencing.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

If I had done your wiring, that would explain your insurance claim.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

OK, I got it fixed and put the console back in!

As usual there were three things working against me.

1. There was some of the molded rubber plug rubber inside the plug so when I stuck the test light in, it wasn't getting contact. So I happened to scrape around. I first tested the three auxiliary outlet plug that connects to one of the blue/red stripe wires off the radio dial light and it worked in all three.

2. The old bullet connector was a tad smaller than the new female end and so I made it larger by putting a awl in the hole at the tip and slightly pushed in. ( yes make puns here :snigger: )

3. I still could not get it to work with the incandescent bulb so on a last resort, put in an LED light and it WORKED.

I talked to a guy in Canada who I had the radio checked out by and he told me today that you have to go all or none on LED dash lights.

So now I am just waiting on an emergency flasher and I can button up the dash cluster. I will probably tape the lights to the back of the cluster so they don't fall out when putting it back into the dash.

Then off to the next item on the list. :wbash:
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

:like:

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Nassi, we should be using a bradawl! Ryan only used half of one and it worked for him.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Thanks Jacko, I will keep that in mind.