Modifying the wiring to get amber/red taillights working

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Modifying the wiring to get amber/red taillights working

Post by Edz66Vert »

I have some amber/red taillight lenses for my 66 Mustang and need some help wiring them up. I have 2 versions of the instructions to rewire the brake light switch and front and rear wiring to give you turn signals down the bottom in the reverse lights but I don't think they are very effective.

I have pictures where someone split the amber section off and wired in a new indicator so I know it's possible but there were no details on the wiring. I have the colour wiring diagrams but the way the Mustang is wired is quite tricky and all seems to happen in the turn switch.

Hopefully someone has the wiring nutted out somewhere to save me a couple of hours experimenting and letting smoke out of wires.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Modifying the wiring to get amber/red taillights working

Post by Nuts »

Why didn't you ask me the other day. Drop in and i'll answer all your elecyrickery questions.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I didn't think of that the other day as my sockets hadn't arrived yet. Also thought the answer might be helpful to post on here as others can use the info. I'll drop past this arvo around 4:30.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Yes definitely let us know.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I will. I searched high and low and haven't found any info on wiring up the upper amber/red light. Only found the two versions of wiring the reverse lights to also act as indicators. (see below) which I don't think is good enough. Hopefully we can work it out. Initially I thought it was easy, just run wires from the front indicators but then I realised the brake lights would still be indicators.

Swap brake and indicator lights – 2 writeups

1st writeup

1. Locate the reverse wires as they come through the firewall under the dash. If your car is like mine the two reverse wires are taped together and come through the fire wall high up in line with the brake pedal. They should be black with a red stripe.

2. Cut these wires leaving enough play to re-attach new wires. Take the ends that continue into the dash board and connect them to the brake switch located on the brake pedal.

3. Then take the wires originally connected to the brake switch and connect these to the reverse wires sticking out of the fire wall.

As Shaunp states in his post we have now swapped the reverse light switch with the brake light switch. If you’re curious and want to check you should now have reverse, indicators and park lights all working the top circuit (original brake lights) and when you put your foot on the brakes your original reverse lights should come on.

4. At this point we need to do some rewiring in the boot some trial and error may be needed. Basically you need to swap indicator and reverse wires to the bottom globes and brake light to the top lights. After some playing around you should get reverse and indicators in the bottom (original reverse lights) and brake lights and parkers in the top (as per usual).

2nd writeup

Disconnect the reverse light bullet connector (black/red wire) that pokes out the top of the kick panel near fuses. Tape off the female connector of that and tuck it away, as you’ll then join the new wire to the male connector.

Cut the green wire at the stop light switch, tape off the end that goes into the loom, then extend the other short green tail from the switch with a new wire to that reverse light male connector (I made a new wire with bullet connectors for easy connection). This re-routes the brake light power rather than it going through the turn signal switch.

At the tail lamps, cut the orange/blue & green/orange brake & turn signal wires from their respective tail/brake lamp holders, connect them to the black/red wire that goes to their respective reverse light beneath. (Ed - If you connect these to the new indicators up top instead you will power them to be indicators and reverse lights which could be an option?) This will give you indicators in reverse lights.

Connect the incoming black/red wires to those turn signal tails that were cut at the brake lamp holder. You now have brake lights. In case you wondered, the tail lamp signal is the plain black wire which remains unchanged.
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I've been looking at the wiring diagram and I think this may work. Picking up the indicators separately from the front indicators (dash lights) will allow the new orange section of the indicators to flash. Then I can cut the feed to the red brake/indicator and bring a new power feed from the brake light switch after cutting it out of the steering column/indicator circuit. So 3 wires in total.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Are you using a new wiring kit or modifying the original wiring?
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Dwayne wrote:Are you using a new wiring kit or modifying the original wiring?
Modifying the original
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

I've still got my old original wiring loom that had the indicators set up like that, but I wouldn't even know what to look for on a diagram.

I think the rear indicators & taillights are still all intact if you need some photo's taken.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I'll have a chat to Nuts this arvo and a play this weekend as I've blown up one of the wiring diagrams I have that shows a lot more detail of how the indicator switch is wired. I may be able to fix my hazards at the same time. If I can't work it out I'll take you up on your offer to takes some pics Dwayne.