Another Scott Drake fail - perspex Cowl Covers are garbage

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Another Scott Drake fail - perspex Cowl Covers are garbage

Post by Edz66Vert »

Went to fit a brand new Scott Drake cowl cover and it cracked first time. Checked their website and they are made out of 'Poly Methyl Methacrylate Plastic' which sounds flash but is just the brittle old cheap acrylic. Since you have to push down on them to engage the locks, the centre bows down and they crack through the holes. This was mine on a normal 25C day. For an extra dollar they could have made them out of Lexan/polycarbonate which is the stuff they use for race car and small plane windshields and motorcycle visors. Scratches a little easier but you can tie it in knots and shoot a bullet through it without it shattering. Cost me $40 to transfer the fittings to a new piece of Lexan/polycarbonate and buy 2m of foam tape. You shouldn't have to do that with a $60 item and reading the reviews on their site showed me I wasn't the only one.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Another Scott Drake fail - perspex Cowl Covers are garbage

Post by Nuts »

I think I know how it broke... I bet you were trying to fit it to one of those Holdons!!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

I think I still have one you can have. Mine has a broken clip after about 12mths use.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Another Scott Drake fail - perspex Cowl Covers are garba

Post by hybrid »

Not a big fan of the look of those.
Just don't take the car out in the rain ?
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

I have a cutout magnetic strip that fits perfectly over the cowl, and is strong enough to not fly off when driving. I have never used it and can't remember who I bought it off, but someone from the states. It has a white paintable surface.
Idea is you can just roll it up and leave it in your glovebox, and then if you want to fit it in rain or whatever, takes all of 5 seconds.
geoff289
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: Another Scott Drake fail - perspex Cowl Covers are garba

Post by geoff289 »

Drake must have reduced the quality. I've had one for years that is yet to crack. It doesn't get much use - just keep it in the boot in case it rains when I'm out despite checking the forecast and radar. Actually its been used more when I wash the car than anything else but is holding up fine.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Thanks Dwayne, redone in polycarbonate so all good, thanks for the offer. Won't break again. Gave feedback to Scott Drake and they are investigating.

Didn't buy it for the looks, just to keep the water out when washing the car and getting caught in the rain.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"