Painting New Panels

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Painting New Panels

Post by scott66stang »

When Mike 68 visited me last weekend he asked me do you have to prime over the black coating on new panels before paint. I may have led him astray a bit by saying "shouldnt have to". I have previousy only ever primed old panels and repairs that have been taken down to metal , and im about to paint a brand new fender on the fastback that i was going to lay a coat of primer over anyway , but do i need to?
:shrug:
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Painting New Panels

Post by ozbilt »

You will get the technical advice from Lance or Steve, but in a short answer, yes it needs priming.

What type & thickness comes with that technical advice.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

scott66stang wrote:When Mike 68 visited me last weekend he asked me do you have to prime over the black coating on new panels before paint. I may have led him astray a bit by saying "shouldnt have to". I have previousy only ever primed old panels and repairs that have been taken down to metal , and im about to paint a brand new fender on the fastback that i was going to lay a coat of primer over anyway , but do i need to?
LIAR...!!! Scott, I'm so SHOCKED you could do that to me :rotfl:

Thanks for setting that straight Kerry :wave:
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

mikes68 wrote:
scott66stang wrote:When Mike 68 visited me last weekend he asked me do you have to prime over the black coating on new panels before paint. I may have led him astray a bit by saying "shouldnt have to". I have previousy only ever primed old panels and repairs that have been taken down to metal , and im about to paint a brand new fender on the fastback that i was going to lay a coat of primer over anyway , but do i need to?
LIAR...!!! Scott, I'm so SHOCKED you could do that to me :rotfl:

Thanks for setting that straight Kerry :wave:

Hahahaha! And you want me to paint your car :f:
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Might have a trunk lid of Craig's to do first... we have been chewing the fat over a cool little side project to put together for his man-cave
Fifty Years Afloat

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

mikes68 wrote:Might have a trunk lid of Craig's to do first... we have been chewing the fat over a cool little side project to put together for his man-cave
Yes , im going to invite myself over and quietly leave with a certain rear seat :outtahere:
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

scott66stang wrote:
mikes68 wrote:Might have a trunk lid of Craig's to do first... we have been chewing the fat over a cool little side project to put together for his man-cave
Yes , im going to invite myself over and quietly leave with a certain rear seat :outtahere:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: That's the one...
Fifty Years Afloat

soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

The correct way to do it would be to sand the transit primer off to clean metal. After cleaning off with a quality wax & grease remover apply one half coat followed by a full coat of a good quality 2k epoxy etch primer. Once this has cured lightly sand & re clean. Then apply 3 coats of the 2k primer/hi fill of your choice. Once cured prep for top coat.

The above would pretty much cover most paint companys recomended procedures. There is also more than one way to skin a cat. It really depends on the durability & level of finish you are after. In the real world most new panels are painted straight over the transit primer. Most of the time it all goes well. I wouldnt advise anyone to do it that way on anything they want to last or they would give a warranty to.

The safest thing to do is once you have picked the brand of paint you are using ask for the technical data sheets & follow the procedures to the letter.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Thanks Kerry and Steve , very interesting. Im using Acrylic though on both builds .

Steve , While on the subject of paint , i got a sample pot of BF Falcon "EGO" yesterday and painted a old panel. There were 3 types of ego 2005 , 2007 , 2008 i think i got the 07 (special Tint), but it seems to have a Green tint to it and is not the one i want. What Ego was Ash's car painted do you know.
I also got a sample of BF "Menace" im going to try on a old rear quarter im replacing on the Covertible , i tried wild violet but its too dark for what i want.
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

Ohh dont be using EGO Scott... :shrug:
You wont like it... not one bit...
More so when mine's the same colour.. Been eyeing off that colour since I got the Mustang.. but paint is ages away for me.. cant bring myself to take the car off the road..
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

S[_]SPECT wrote:Ohh dont be using EGO Scott... :shrug:
You wont like it... not one bit...
More so when mine's the same colour.. Been eyeing off that colour since I got the Mustang.. but paint is ages away for me.. cant bring myself to take the car off the road..
I was always going to use EGO , i think its at the begining of my fairstang project. But i started out using acrylic primers etc and later found that it coulndnt be mixed only 2k etc. So the colour on my Avatar was one of the failure colours trying to mix it , but i ended up liking. Yesterday when i went in to ask if i can get Menace mixed in acrylic before i start priming the Vert. We stumbled on EGO which they said the rep upgraded the program 6 mths ago. I think its the 2005 ego i like , but i think i like the black metalic in my avatar better and its a custom mix. Ego will proberly be my ghosted stipe colour.
I know i felt the same way when ash's car got painted , thats my colour and im along way off painting LOL!
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

There shouldnt be any difference based on year model. They are all the same paint code. There will be variants but it is more to do with batches. The only way to get the variant you prefer is to check it to a colour chip & then use the formula to suit. Ash's car would have just been the standard. It was done in the Spies Hecker waterborne, the water base coats have very good clarity & really pop. Not much chop for home use though.

If painting new panels in acrylic the proces is the same except use a 1k etch (do they still make that green crap) then after it has flashed off apply a few coats of your primer surfacer. I havent used acrylic since I gave Noahs ark a tidy up before he flogged it off. You can get good results with it though Neros chariot won best paint at the -30BC Summernats :rotfl:
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

The shop wich is just a auto shop with a paint mix section , rang up Ford at the time because their were 3 different mixes on the computer for EGO , i honestly cant remember the explanation , we couldnt work it out so i just got him to do the one marked special mix had one more ingredient. Ive got 2 more goes but i now think its the 2005. But didnt it come out on the AU Falcon , no wait that was sparkling Black or something
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

What brand are you trying to get it in? Ask the paint mixer upperers if they have a colourbox with colour standard chips. They will know what you are talking about. Failing that check at a local panel shop that uses the same brand of paint, they should definatly have a colour box.
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

scott66stang wrote:The shop wich is just a auto shop with a paint mix section , rang up Ford at the time because their were 3 different mixes on the computer for EGO , i honestly cant remember the explanation , we couldnt work it out so i just got him to do the one marked special mix had one more ingredient. Ive got 2 more goes but i now think its the 2005. But didnt it come out on the AU Falcon , no wait that was sparkling Black or something
Scott I can get PPG colour palets that you can have a flick through over the weekend if you want me to, just give me some notice. I've got Euro Ford and GM, Lambo, GM Aust and Landrover fandeck at the moment. :cheers: