holley sniper instal

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

holley sniper instal

Post by 123abc »

i am installing a Holley sniper system over the next weekend or so and will post pics as i go , today i fitted a return line to my tank which was included in the aeroflow fuel kit which has all the fittings including pump,fuel line ,filters,return line bulkhead fitting barb fittings and clamps . from evilbay for 285 bucks i had to buy a 45 deg and immersible fuel line for in tank for my bulkhead fit as it was easier to assemble and slip it in from the inside with hose on it and put the nut on the outside made a plate to hang pump and filters on a i needed to drop the pump height and it sits neatly in front of tank
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: holley sniper instal

Post by 123abc »

lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I have my fuel pumps in the same place as you except bolted on the plate facing the rear of the car for protection from debris being kicked up.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

when im done i plan to shroud the pump
AWOL
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by AWOL »

Fair way off but am thinking of adding EFI to my 67 coupe so am interested in the fuel pump and return line plumbing .
Was going to go with an external pump and return line into the drain plug.
But see Holley now do an OEM style sender with pump and pickup attached . Guessing it'd be pricey . Have read external pumps are a bit noisey , run hotter than in tank type and need a surge tank . Any thoughts on pro's and con's of either system ?
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

if you go in tank return line is included in the unit i think Holley do one for 66-68 and there is also a tank with the cutout for pump with a reservoir inside but i think it leaves the top of the unit exposed to what ever you put in the boot unless theres a false floor to cover it .
external pumps can be noisey and run hot but that depends on where it is in relation to the pipes and airflow with the sniper once pressure is reached the it will reduce voltage and turn the pump down
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

lukep6470 wrote:I have my fuel pumps in the same place as you except bolted on the plate facing the rear of the car for protection from debris being kicked up.
i cant turn the plate around as i have the filters attached to it
AWOL
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by AWOL »

Do you need tank baffles or a surge tank with the external pump ?
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

no just a return line runs off the oem pickup , but you do have to put some immersible fuel line on the inside of the tank from the return to the bottom the tank to stop aeration of the fuel
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

I have run return lines into the filler neck in conversations I have done. No problems with leaks and the tank remains stock. Also hot fuel is not reintroduced into the tank near the pickup.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

True ,,, I put the line away from pick up point
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

LOL I never even considered fuel aeration. I have a bulkhead fitting on the FS unit but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Even when I ran this tank down to only 3L left in it it never skipped a beat.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

i think it only for real high volume applications and if your return is coming back in right at the pickup point from the top of the tank plenty of info out there on it so im removing a possible issue before it is one
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

installed the sniper kit today was easy everything fitted as described wiring was the biggest job i used the existing choke power feed for ign power after fixing a few leaks on prime it wouldn't start tried and tried mental note to anyone( hook up the coil wire ) once that was done it fired up idled rough for a few seconds and then started to idle good as it learned, habvnt driven it yet i need another throttle cable adapter got one coming, will update as i got will post a startup vid soon also if you have a hoist it will be a breeze
Last edited by 123abc on Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Well done.