Complete Holley sniper installation

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Complete Holley sniper installation

Post by smh00n »

Today I finished installing a Sniper system and I am impressed with it.
Although my base line setup is junk - std 302 2bbl/c4/3.00 axle - there is a noticeable improvement in power and response.

So, here's the way it panned out.
I bought the base system and decided I'd go for the EFI tank from Holley as well. I want a car that is integrated, reliable and works.
So, the fuel tank arrived and despite being in a Holley box, was in fact a Tanks Inc unit. So at least it's a known quantity. However since then the in-tank senders and pumps have been released and I'd go that way if I did it today. Especially when the car had a brand new tank in it already. (anyone want a slightly used 20 gallon tank for a Mustang?)
The fuel lines and filters I decided to do out of Aeroflow stuff - cheap, local and plenty of choices in fittings. My first plan of running -8 AN stuff was foiled, as the tank fittings didn't allow -8 fittings to, well, fit. Dammit. Back to Evil Bay and -6 stuff is bought. Anyway, who wants to be a tryhard with 800hp fuel lines on a 250hp motor?? I'm using barb fittings and secured by one use hose clamps.
Then I figured why I am running $14/metre EFI hose twice? So I bought some alloy 3/8" fuel pipe made by Aeroflow. I'd prefer to do steel but couldn't find it.
This was run up the transmission tunnel with EFI hose joining at each end.
Next, drop in the tank. The original mounting using tek screws didn't cut it so I put in nutserts and used 1/4" stainless button heads for a sexy finish.
The way the pump is mounted in the tank is a pain the in ringthing and it means you have to have hoses exposed. Due to the bigger tank in the 70 it sits flush with the boot sides so a false floor will need some thought.
Aeroflow came to the party with a 10 micron filter and neat billet alloy mount, so I cut up some 2mm sheet and mounted it to the lip under the tank. Makes for a neat hose routing and easy to remove and clean out.
Up the pointy end the more observant may have spotted an issue - a 4bbl sniper going on to a 2bbl manifold. Easy fix - a Edelbrock Torker and 4bbl was for sale cheap. Sold.
Routing the wiring was fairly easy. Holley are pretty clear on wiring right first time and not to run wires next to others, and to have clean power sources.
So, I spent about 2 hours trying to find clean power under the dash. The wiring had been hacked to out a better voltage resistor in, but it also has new coil wiring, a feed from the oil light and power back to a electric fuel pump. Everything I tried pulled 13.6v static but down to just under 11v when cranking. Time was a wasting so I plugged into the green/black wire after the ignition switch pink wire. At the coil there is a resister wire but stuffed if I know where they plugged it in - all the intel says a 70 has the resistor wire back to the switch. Don't you love old cars? On this wire I sued some cable sheathing that is the same as what Holley uses, so it looks factory.
The carb/injection/carbtion is pretty easy to hook up. Holley give you everything, down to cable ties and wiring connections so you just need to keep going back to the box to pick up bits.
I ran the main power harness off to the right hand side of the engine bay as it had the most room, plus the battery and also fits in with future plans for power and starter wiring.
On the battery I used Narva quick connectors so the battery can be pulled easy. The 12v switched supply I used a waterproof connector similar to the Holley stuff. The coil wire I just used a blue fitting and left the wire exposed. I'll try to get some real small sheathing and clad it in the next stage.
The oxygen sensor I put into the LH pipe, simply because the wiring comes off the LH side of the carbtion.
The accelerator cable hook up is simple - there is a plate supplied that has the correct square hole for the cable and also 4 different studs. I now have 3 spare studs if any laydeez are interested. I already had a new cable so in it went.
Water temp sender I put into the manifold itself, as it needs water flow (thanks Mustang 360) and I put the gauge one into the thermostat housing.
Fuel pipes I had terminated about block height and ran 2 EFI hoses up to the carbtion into -6 fittings.
Nice and neat.
The fuel pump feed wire was plenty long enough to go through the firewall, under the LH sill plate and back out into the trunk. This is run off a relay so plug and play.
Last chore is to get the 3.5" screen (sounds great until you realise that's a horizontal measurement, not diagonal) inside the car.
So far, so good. A couple of things I think I did good was to use a decent crimping tool for the electrical fittings. I bought a Narva one for about $100 and it was worth the cost. One shot crimping, no duds. I also have a Toledeo wire stripper so again, one go and it's done.
I also thought about the wiring and routed it away from the other wiring. Holley actually say cross existing wiring at right angles and don't use the aluminium sheathing which I did consider to stop interference and their manuals have on there after all the 'don'ts' that you'll thank them later for doing it right. Thanks Holley.

Now, to start up. Turn it on, the system takes 2.5 seconds to cycle on and power the fuel pump. It has a bit of noise to start but I never noticed it again.
Go through some screens on engine spec (cubes, cam, nitrous, ignition type) hit save and boot it up.
Instant start up!
I didn't read the instructions to the end so the idle was too high but a couple of left turns on the idle screw on the carbtion fixed that. You can set your own idle speed so I chose 775 rpm. Because I could.
Driving it the first thought is no coughing or hesitation from dead cold. Response is much better and it's just a nice thing.
Driving down the road the display is constantly changing as it picks up the data and adjusts 'things' to suit.

So, as I stated at the start the base line was pretty naff but even on a dead stock 302 there is a big change in throttle response, the way it performs and the feel of the car. It now bags the rear up easy (OK, it's a single spinner with 14" tyres that are as hard as a steel track but let me have some glory).
I took my time with this and did the install over 3 part days by myself. I needed to get new clamps for the oxygen sensor adaptor, as the supplied ones are 2 3/8" and were too big for my pissy 2" pipes.
I can't get an air cleaner on there with the Torker manifold. I will be using an RPM air gap when I build the 347 so I'll have to think about putting either a hole in the hood or a shaker.

This conversion cost me probably $2,000 all up but I wanted to use all AN fittings and run new fuel lines and to make it look a nice install. I think it's pretty good value for me, as I don't have to muck around with carbs, tuning and poor cold starts.
With all of 30 minutes driving around the local streets so far I am sold on it and am really impressed with how it works.

Next step is to plug in a MSD6AL, MSD distributor and coil and let the carbtion do the timing as well.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Complete Holley sniper installation

Post by smh00n »

I have lots of pics but can't find the little P thing to load them up.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Think it disappears when editing posts.

Can either add pics into a new post, or upload pictures directly Into postimage and then add the links into the edited original post.
Last edited by Dwayne on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Good write up, thanks..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm