Dono's 67 GTA s-code Fastback

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Dono's 67 GTA s-code Fastback

Post by donoauto »

People who say money doesn't buy happiness haven't seen my car. Married her on the 1st of May this year & in the short 8 weeks ( the honeymoon period ) have done heaps. Didn't know it was a GTA until I had a Marti report done. Will eventually do rotisserie body job on it but not for a while.Last owner wanted a Bullitt look-a-like so badging isn't correct ( BADGES?, BADGES? , WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES. :rotfl: :rotfl: ) & it has a 68 grille. I will be going back to 67GT grille & badging.This is her in May.

New wheels , lowered front & fully rebuilt front suspension. New shocks in rear & to be lowered about 1 1/2 inches shortly.

New export brace / monte carlo bar (doesn't taste as good as it sounds) / new electronic ignition distributor / elec ign coil / leads / plugs / all fluids / new power steering pump / air-oil filters / removed steel fan / recon'ed Bosch internally regulated alternator / recon'ed Bosch starter motor / Pacemaker headers & new twin 2 1/2inch system with 2 mufflers , 2 resonators , crosspipe / radiator pulled apart & recon'ed with temporary filter in top hose /& basic engine bay clean up.

New thermo fan ( NOTE: not mounted directly onto radiator. NEVER mount a fan directly onto your radiator , you`ll be looking for trouble no matter how good & tight you think it is) & radiator overflow. Yeah , the fan mounting brackets could of been sexier but they're neat enough. Fan is switched on by thermo switch screwed into inlet manifold water gallery - no leaks ever!

Replaced all rear brakes including making my own new lines & replacing flexi hose from body to diff. Cleaned & matt blacked ( for now - will improve with body job) diff housing & fuel tank.

Exhaust/headers sit nice & snug to body :mrgreen:

Got most of interior stripped at the moment as I'm putting in 3 point(non-retractable) seat belts & getting away from lap only. Have also put in kiddy seat mounting points so I can take mini-me cruising. Also taking care of 563 rattles in the trim.

With all the pulling apart so far , haven't found any rust that's worth noting.
Have removed the 3 aux. gauges that were under radio & have managed to get all original gauges working properly. Although it doesn't look bad in this photo , the brake pedal was sitting far to close to the driver & was bloody awkward to get ya hoof onto it. Removed , cut little wedges out of it in 2 places & modified to correct shape/look. Welded the death out of it & replaced mounting bushes that support it (as they weren't there in the beginning) for a no-freeplay pedal.Another rattle sorted!

Now , I'm recording price & part numbers of all the gear I'm sticking on this so if anyone has queries , answers will come easily. Stay tuned. :wave:
p.s SUSPECT , how cool will your centre console look in this. :headbang: :$ :wink: Aw c'mon , you know you want too. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Last edited by donoauto on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dono's 67 gta Fastback

Post by ozbilt »

I notice you have a crack in the rear floor coming forward out of the RH shock hole. You may also find the shock mount on the underside is either flogged out, or cracked. Simple task of welding it up with the addition of a correct sized washer welded into place to spread the load.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Dono's 67 gta Fastback

Post by donoauto »

OK , thanks for pointing that out Kerry. Will inspect closely 8O :thumbs:
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Dono's 67 GTA s-code Fastback

Post by donoauto »

Some photo's of front shoulder seat belt mounting points - N.B. yet to be engineer approved! These next four photo's also show the very worst of the rust anywhere in the car - not too bad at all :-D .RH side.

LH side.

Hey Kerry , is this the crack you mentioned. Turns out to be a bit of mig wire. More shots in my photobucket incl. top of rear shock mount - looks alright I think?
Amen.
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

Coming along nicely Mark :thumbs:
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Yep the MIG wire got me.

However the closeup shot does reveal a crack going from the opposite side of the same hole, actually two, 1 in line with the MIG wire (looks like it runs for about 50mm), the other at the opposite end of the slot.
Kerry

ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

Good spotting Kerry
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Damn , you've got some keen eyes on ya Kerry. I just looked straight past that!!! Didn't even notice.............All this stuff will be a lot easier to see when it's media blasted in the future.
Amen.
blkpny
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by blkpny »

Mark, he know exactly where to expect them!

You should have a delivery in the morning ;) Express satchel on the way!
Resto-Mod & Repro Mustang Parts, from the biggest & best suppliers in the Biz. For a sample of what we have, check out www.custommustangs.com.au if you don't see it there, give us a call 03 9782 8850 0438351400
Or stop into our Showroom 2/14 Lakewood Blvd, Carrum Downs
Mustangs are Addictive!
66 Coupe 418w C4 3.50 9" Convo's 10.9@122 FOR SALE
94 SN95 Coupe Supercharged V6 Daily
65 Coupe Project
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Ok , put all interior back together this morning & screwed in all new 3 point seat belts. Also got rid of most rattles :)
Put on new wiper arms - needed a little bending in the right direction to suit RHD but looks spot on!
Put new remote mirrors on aswell. Geez that Scott Drake stuff is a little sub-standard in fitment. Bloody black rubber base gasket that goes under mirror base doesn't properly fit perimeter. Damn close I admit but not right! 2 more millimetres wouldn't cost that much at the factory Scott! And then the proper rubber mounting grommets for the mirror ,with the brass internal threads in them ,would just keep pulling through their hole & out of the door when tightened. Had to put 4 spacing washers over the mounting screws , making sure they fit inside the hole of that stupid rubber base gasket , so they would put pressure on the grommets to stay in the doors when tightened. Not a walk in the park but we have 2 solidly mounted mirrors now.
Went to put on new GT pop fuel cap only to discover that it will not seal off the fuel filler neck & not solve my fuel spillage issues at all. A bit of investigating later , worked out that I don't have a Mustang fuel filler neck but some modified one from something all together different!!!
The fun is slowly wearing off & is threatening to be a piss off. Maybe the "honeymoon" as come to an end & the hard work of making a marriage work has started.
Amen.
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

Yeh some of the Scott Drake stuff aint that flash just ask Kerry. Good to hear you're making progress.
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

I should have a 67 filler neck around if you want one. Let me know if you want it & I will mail it to you.
Kerry

donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Thanks for the offer , I've already contacted Stephan as I have some other items coming from him.
Very obliging of you though!
Amen.
rockerfella
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rockerfella »

That's some speedy progress! Good luck with the rattles - if you find them all, i have another 500 or so in mine you could take a look at! I still can't believe how cheap you got that thing for!
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Had a surprise visit from "m67gl" today at work. He decided it was too nice a day not to go for a cruise from Ballina down here to Yamba. Nice to check out another '67 fastback & even better to take 1/2 hour off & go cruising the beaches. Great to meet you face to face Marc :)
Ya'd think I woulda taken some photo's but clean forgot :(
Amen.