That 67 coupe

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

That 67 coupe

Post by Ausjacko »

OK, to recap this project thus far- the abridged version:

There was once a ‘ready to paint’ 67 S code coupe that a now estranged brother from Victoria bought himself. There is no such thing as a ‘ready to paint’ car from the US.

In August 2009, Shermatt, all the way from the US, reached out over cyberspace and appealed to the essence of Aussie mate ship, that is helping a guy out who is in need. With the lines

“But I still believe, that as a community, we can help” and “Lets all come together and show how much OZZIE is still in us.” the seed was sown and the Mustang Blitz Team was born.

No-one anticipated the level of support / interest this ‘call to arms ‘would generate.

The project was co-ordinated out of Melbourne. A Paypal account was set-up, a plan of attack drafted and work began. Some donated cash, some were fortunate enough to learn from a few masters to work on the car, others donated parts, others helped move the shell around, while more lent encouragement and support. Parts made their way from as far afield as Perth, Queensland and the US to Melbourne. Nothing was too much trouble and if someone needed a hand getting a piece of the project done, three would volunteer. It was clear that Aussie mate ship was alive and well- we just needed a cause and this was it!

Over an incredibly short period of time and working in a single garage affectionately known as ‘Paint Strip HQ’ in suburban Melbourne, Mustangers from Melbourne stripped the car. Now, these guys, known as the Mexican Crew, didn’t mess around. Over a few weekends and nights, these champions of paint stripper, scrapers and wire brushes stripped the entire car! Out came the interior, motor, trans, a few kilos of bog, off came the doors and every other panel that was bolted on. Paint was stripped and the shell primed.

Stage One completed and it is now 12 August 2009- do you believe that!

Fortunately, one of the Melbourne Crew is pretty handy with a camera and satisfied the growing throng of followers with photobucket delights and regular forum updates.

While the motor was disassembled ready to go to a machine shop, the Melbourne Crew packed their baby onto a trailer for it’s next adventure- a date at the Duggo!

The now bare shell was towed, via a couple of hands, to ‘Duggo Ranch’, just outside of Picton in NSW. Now, this piece of rural paradise was shattered by the formation of the Sydney Crew. There was some discussion between the crews about the merits of their beers and other bits, but otherwise the transfer of the coupe went well.

Under the guidance of well, a mustang master, the car’s injuries were healed. I feel well placed to say this as I saw him hit the passenger side door with a lump of timber to ‘fix the gaps’- which it did! The Sydney Crew cut out the cancer riddled bits, fitted new donated panels including floors, both rear quarters, seat belt anchors, repaired a wrinkled front rail and cut out more rust than they care to remember. This is only the ‘highlights’ of what occurred at the Ranch as this is the short version remember. The lingering sense of hospitality and friendship from the Ranch remains but the coupe rolled on. “C'mon little fella... Up you get”
Stage Two completed on 4 September 2009!

While all the physical work was occurring there was great discussion and mental anguish about what colour the car should be painted. Should it stay the original green, should it go electric blue- what to do?
Then, in what quite obviously was an act of God, a Mustanger parks his pony next to a new Ford ute outside his local (not sure if was his local pub or fitness centre).

“Geez, that colour looks great,” says the Mustanger to the young owner
“Yeah, it is the new Ford colour Ego”

A quick forum poll and the colour was decided - Ford Ego.

The paint!
DuPont, via a Sydney Mustanger, stepped up to supply, gratis, it's Spies Hecker Brand Paint Refinish Materials. Not only was Spies Hecker prepared to supply the paint, this was going to showcase the latest technology - Waterborne Basecoat!

Now Spies is a great product but you need a magician to complete the act. Steve and the Crew at St Mary's Prestige Smash wanted the task. St Mary’s Prestige Smash cleared the use of the DuPont product with its contracted supplier. Spies supplied the technicians to assist the St Mary’s Crew to weave their spells over the stripped, healed and prepped panels.
The end result is truly spell-binding. The finish is so deep that I swear you could swim in it. Can you say that about an incredible paint job?

Stage Three completed. 2 October 2009

While the Sydney Crew had care of the coupe, the Mexican’s were champing at the bit to get her back. To keep their hands and the project ticking along, the Mexicans stripped the block. The motor ran, no-one quite knows how mind you considering the substance in the tank- thought once to be gasoline. Being 40 thou over already the block was stripped and laid bare for inspection. However, this was only filling in time where is the car- reassembly awaits.

The coupe was trailered back to Melbourne. Shermatt and Sheri travelled from the US to Melb to assist the Mexican Crew install a new black interior. With Christmas looming things were off to a flying start.. A new interior, new seat covers and associated bling.

Come January and things had gone amiss. The project ground to a halt. The Mexican Crew were willing but otherwise unable. It is for others to cover this period if they wish over a beer when we next meet.

In short, the car was on sold, partly completed. The forum thread was closed on 7 March 2010. At 437 pages it is an incredible story and an emotional read. Do yourself a favour, grab a beer or four, leave yourself a couple of hours and have a read - it will make you proud.

Here and now…
The sale of the car left a lot of people unfulfilled and frankly disappointed. It always bothered me that the good will, generosity and mate ship of a large number of people was left hanging. 12 months and two owners later the car has resurfaced. It is still as it was 12 months ago. The paint looks as impressive as it did when it left St Mary Prestige Smash. The panels are still perfect and the chrome pieces that have been reinstalled are just brilliant.

Now to get her going- Stage 4 continues…
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: That 67 coupe

Post by nassi »

Glad to see she has come home mate.
Thanks for the update and if you were to call for donations of help, cash or goodwill I would be more than proud to contribute.
It would be nice to see it finnished, and even nicer to to see it finnished as it started.
:cheers:
Thanks again.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

j1 has all the pics on his photobucket. I will see if I can link it to here. If not I will load them on my photobucket as I have them also.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
IGALOP
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by IGALOP »

Well summed up AusJacko and succinctly done so, too.
We Mexicans keenly await any further info or pics re this amazing 67 Coupe.

It's completion in due course will be a very sweet moment for many very interested Mustang brothers and sisters Australia wide. :-D
I am so glad that this project lives and know the others here in Mexico have a similar mindset.
Just keep us informed buddy.

Cheers, Johnno. :wave:
Selling the Mustang story to all those who will listen!
There are many listening in Gippsland.
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Ian, what can anyone say other than, an oustanding effort to hook a brother up, and the story will continue. Stay tuned for stage 4.
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Let's go Jacko!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

I'll start saving all my chinese takeaway containers for you to put all those many little parts in.
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Given the engine is a bit stuffede- due to rust in the bores and already being 40 thou over, have purchased this old girl.

Don't dispear as I am only after this nice looking bit:

Apparently rebuilt 390 wiht reco trans etc... Now this is the basis of a good Nascar retro project don't you think?

Will pick it up after Chrissie and the transplant begins!
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

you'll need your old heads I think. Gals offen have different heads that won't fit a pony. So just check
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Mate great story, can't wait for Stage 4...

Today tonight would get wet over this stuff...
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Nuts wrote:Let's go Jacko!

And you have!! Well done!! :cheers:
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarti ... index.html

Also has a pic of the head issue that shaunp raised.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Good time to get some hard seats and valves in anycase. Brush the C6 and fit a TKO or Toploader.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Well done, saw that old gal on fleabay a while ago. Good to see its gone to a good home (cause).
cheers
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

So glad to see this coupe come back home to the forum members on here. Lots of hours were put in and lots of good will and contributions from those who couldnt get close enough to turn a spanner or lend a hand. Cant wait to see it on the road, good luck with the build, sure is a strong foundation you got there!