New Panel coating?

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

New Panel coating?

Post by unilec5544 »

Hi all, I have just replaced the left quarter panel on my car, do I need to remove the black coating that was on the new panel or can I spray undercoat on top of it?

Thanks Neil.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Panel coating?

Post by ozbilt »

scuff with a scotch brite pad, & you can spray an undercoat on it (by undercoat I assume you mean sound deadener) make sure it is not water based (if so you need a primer & colour first).

If you are talking about primer, then scuff (same as above) & prime.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Yes thanks i did mean primer, so I think I will feel better at least giving it a light sand.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

If you are priming I would run a block over it with some 180. Scotchbrite is fine but it can be easier to miss a bit & not get good adhesion. If you miss a bit with 180 it is pretty obvious. Basicly what you need to achieve is no gloss at all left on the panel. That way the primer can bite in. I am assuming you are talking the outside of the panel. I think ozbilt is thinking inside. If it is inside scotchbrite will be fine.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

soc123_au wrote:If you are priming I would run a block over it with some 180. Scotchbrite is fine but it can be easier to miss a bit & not get good adhesion. If you miss a bit with 180 it is pretty obvious. Basicly what you need to achieve is no gloss at all left on the panel. That way the primer can bite in. I am assuming you are talking the outside of the panel. I think ozbilt is thinking inside. If it is inside scotchbrite will be fine.
Correct I was thinking inside.

I would also check that it is an electronic coating, the 180 will tell you that, if it does not flake when you rub through then it is OK. Some of the cheaper panels have the black just sprayed on & it falls off.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Yes, it's the outside I was referring to too. I think I will do as you say and remove it with 180 grit. And also thinking about it, the inside as well.

Thanks again Neil.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

You dont need to get it all off, Its pretty thin so you will get most of it anyway. Just make sure what is left is keyed up. Also as you will expose a lot of bare metal make sure you use a good etch primer. I prefer a good quality epoxy etch, but it is best to speak to whoever you are getting your primer etc off & see what they recommend. There is that many products out there & they all have their own intracacies.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

soc123_au wrote:You dont need to get it all off, Its pretty thin so you will get most of it anyway. Just make sure what is left is keyed up. Also as you will expose a lot of bare metal make sure you use a good etch primer. I prefer a good quality epoxy etch, but it is best to speak to whoever you are getting your primer etc off & see what they recommend. There is that many products out there & they all have their own intracacies.
On a small section of the quarter panel i have used a filler (bog), can you apply an etching primer over that or should i just go for a primer?