Pulling my date correct engine down!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Pulling my date correct engine down!

Post by tim_morrison82 »

This weekend my parents came to town, first time since my wedding back in 2008. Dad was very interested in the mustang from day 1 so i thought i'd get him involved somehow in my project. And i had just the job, help me pull down the original j code engine i bought from the us last year.

I was a very interested in learning a bit more about engines as i had very little interest in cars as a kid. Having some one a little more experienced was great.

i saved this engine from a school workshop near san fran that i found on the bulletin board on the mustangs plus website. I had decided that after looking for for a date correct engine for a few months with no success, the next j code engine i find i'm keeping. After agreeing on a price, out of curiosity i got him to send me the block date stamp which worked out to be 36 days before my build date. My search for perfection was over, i had a date correct block!

looking at the blurry pics i was sent it was hard to tell what the rest was like, but it seemed to even have the original carby.

i didn't know what to expect, but i hoped i'd found some good news. To be continued...
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Pulling my date correct engine down!

Post by ponyride »

Good luck with it Tim, keep us posted, that will be a great little project for you both.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

i was so tired typing that out i fell asleep! i took some pics, but need to revisit to take better pics. i was trying to take pics and help dad at the same time, but he got into it and didn't slow down...
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

haha sounds like me I had the 302 I picked up from nassi stripped that night... sad I know. Get some pics up but will be good to see how well the internals have stood up considering the condition of some of the exterior components
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

good news is that it was all original. and the engine appears to have had very little use, the lip on the cylinders was very minimal, so the original parts i have should not be too worn out, and might just need some freshening up.

the bad news is, water did get into one side of the block through the spark plugs, and all 4 on that side were seized and the damage to the cylinders were substantial, so will need sleaving... the heads on that side have a bit of rust, but i can't tell if its bad or not. will molasses be safe for the heads?

it was a little sludgy in there, and most of the parts were still very greasy. there was a bit of water in the sump, probably the fresh stuff from the 'cleaning' i paid for.

so i am up for some sleaves in my rebuild, but it should be all good. will get some more pics and post them up tomorrow, have to post the parents back to 2850...

Ozbilt, got any pics of bolts for a 68 j code? some of the ones i have look quite unique. cheers
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

tim_morrison82 wrote:Ozbilt, got any pics of bolts for a 68 j code? some of the ones i have look quite unique. cheers
No, do not. However just buy an engine bolt kit from AMK, that will do the trick.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

What are you saying here Kerry, you don't have a useful photo pertaining to the topic. I'm shocked....
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

MustangMedic wrote:What are you saying here Kerry, you don't have a useful photo pertaining to the topic. I'm shocked....
Been over 10 years since I built a J code 68 & it was a coupe... :cheers:

Car had been given to her as a high school graduation present & she still owned it some 15 years later. I got the job of doing the frontend repair, repaint & getting it going again. Gulfstream Aqua with black deluxe interior. Stock as a rock when finished.

Everything since then has been Shelby's (both 350 & 500's), a CS & a few clones. All 289, 5.0 or 428's.
Kerry

tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

thats ok.

1 set of bolts i can identify as having heads like a flat screw driver slot has been added through it 3 times, through the centre of each flit face of the bolt. (pics will be added soon)

the head bolts have 6 raised lines from the corners of the bolt head, with an "F" in the centre.

thats the 2 that come to mind... not sure if there were too many other variations...
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

6 raised lines = grade 8 bolt...

3 raised = grade 5...

The F on the bolt is a manufacturers code, plenty of differing types there.
Kerry

tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

it was good to see the 302 4v specific parts pulling off the engine. i was very happy. till we got to the bad side... but underneath i was still happy of the originality of the engine. makes the bills i had to pay to get it released a little more justified.
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

tim_morrison82 wrote: the bad news is, water did get into one side of the block through the spark plugs, and all 4 on that side were seized and the damage to the cylinders were substantial
Depends on the extent of the rusting and lip on the bores Tim might be ok.
Pete
Mustang Project:
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

Dad reckons 120 thou might get the rust damage out. Its very bad in 1 of them. Will get pics soon. I promise!
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

tim_morrison82 wrote:Dad reckons 120 thou might get the rust damage out. Its very bad in 1 of them. Will get pics soon. I promise!
haha no problem look forward to seeing it stripped
Pete
Mustang Project:
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

120 thou is too much generally. You don't really want to go any more than 60.
If you're going to re-sleave then it's not a problem.